Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

A possible factor in the SWA/AAI merger.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Simon Says

New Airbus Regional Jet
Here is an excerpt from the ruling given by Bloch about one of the factors that Mesaba contributed. I don't believe that this factor has been weighted before in SLI negotiations. In essance Mesaba recieved credit for bringing a stronger contract to the table which both Pinnacle and Colgan now enjoy.

Pinnacle was in section 6 negotiations for the past 5 years and Colgan was bargaining for their first contract. Our mediator, Bloch, noted that both those pilot groups enjoy a better contract because of Mesaba. This might play in Airtran recieving a better contract once joined with SWA.

Food for thought.

The Mesaba CBA meaningfully influenced, and dramatically benefited,
their merger colleagues. The wage gains for Colgan and Pinnacle, 37.5 percent
and 24.1 percent, respectively, over the life of the agreement (3.1 percent for
Mesaba pilots) reflect a compensation raft that rose in response to clear pressure

from the Mesaba contract.12 The evidence is unrebutted that pre-merger pilots at
Mesaba flew CRJ-900s with pay scales that led the industry. Moreover, due to
the existence of a Flow-Through agreement between Mesaba and Delta,
guaranteeing Mesaba pilots nine positions in Delta new hire classes, vacancies
resulting from the Flow-Through Pilots13 will result in advancement for more
junior pilots.
The Pinnacle pilots, by contrast, had, at the time of the merger, been
unsuccessful in renewing a contract and, while the PCL representatives suggest a
new agreement would have been obtained in short order, this is speculative and
ultimately not compelling when compared to the strong contractual framework
brought by the Mesaba pilots, including the meaningful wage enhancements and
more demanding staffing requirements that directly impacted the merged
workforces’ security and job opportunities. The Colgan pilots arrived at the
merger with no contract -- they had been operating under a managementpromulgated
handbook.

11 The top 350 slots reflect a ratio of Mesaba to Pinnacle pilots of 73% to 27%, respectively.

Here is an excerpt from the ruling given by Bloch about one of the factors that Mesaba contributed. I don't believe that this factor has been weighted before in SLI negotiations. In essance Mesaba recieved credit for bringing a stronger contract to the table which both Pinnacle and Colgan now enjoy.

Pinnacle was in section 6 negotiations for the past 5 years and Colgan was bargaining for their first contract. Our mediator, Bloch, noted that both those pilot groups enjoy a better contract because of Mesaba. This might play in Airtran recieving a better contract once joined with SWA.

Food for thought.

Mesaba pilots) reflect a compensation raft that rose in response to clear pressure

from the Mesaba contract.12 The evidence is unrebutted that pre-merger pilots at
junior pilots.
unsuccessful in renewing a contract and, while the PCL representatives suggest a
merger with no contract -- they had been operating under a managementpromulgated
handbook.

11 The top 350 slots reflect a ratio of Mesaba to Pinnacle pilots of 73% to 27%, respectively.

He said it in the award, but I certainly didn't get credit for any of that. I am 300 numbers junior to 9E guy that was hired a year and a half after me, and I lost about 5% relative seniority. I am pretty sure it was lip service.

He said it in the award, but I certainly didn't get credit for any of that. I am 300 numbers junior to 9E guy that was hired a year and a half after me, and I lost about 5% relative seniority. I am pretty sure it was lip service.

True. As I read it in the Regional thread concerning this topic, some prop Captains at lower paying Colgan were placed ahead of many jet FOs at the other airlines. Mesaba went BK recently too, but their top Captains were placed at the top of the list, mixed in with the others. How were the CR9 FOs mixed in with DH8-400 guys at Colgan, along with the CR2 pilots? BTW, Southwest and Airtran have essentially the same plane types with regard to size. (717 is close to 735)

There was a 5 year fence placed on that group by Bloch too, and that might
not be too important to them as most of them want to probably move on eventually before that is up. That may be a more important factor though to the SWA/Airtran guys, who want to make it a career.

OYS

Last edited:

Food for thought.

junior pilots.
handbook.

But there are a lot of 7-10 year mesaba pilots who can hold the jet and would have always held the jet even with the Saab loses because of the flow (note that delta limited the flow but all who could hold a jet now would have after the saabs left). How did the 7-10 year mesaba pilots get hosed? I have 8 years at mesaba and EVERY single Pinnacle captain was placed higher than me. Every single Colgan Q captain was placed higher than me-there are even a larger humber of 3-4 year colgan captains who are senior to me. SCREW Bloch-is there any legal precedence that states he did us wrong?

True. As I read it in the Regional thread concerning this topic, some prop Captains at lower paying Colgan were placed ahead of many jet FOs at the other airlines. Mesaba went BK recently too, but their top Captains were placed at the top of the list, mixed in with the others. How were the CR9 FOs mixed in with DH8-400 guys at Colgan, along with the CR2 pilots? BTW, Southwest and Airtran have essentially the same plane types with regard to size. (717 is close to 735)

There was a 5 year fence placed on that group by Bloch too, and that might
not be too important to them as most of them want to probably move on eventually before that is up. That may be a more important factor though to the SWA/Airtran guys, who want to make it a career.

OYS

So will all the AT 717 fo's go to the bottom? We only have 25 737-500 out of 540 aircraft. which percent is bigger?

So will all the AT 717 fo's go to the bottom? We only have 25 737-500 out of 540 aircraft. which percent is bigger?
Yep pop the champagne corks....All 717 FOs will go to bottom. But you can only do this if you go to arbitration. So please don't negotiate with AAI simply demand arbitration. Thanks

Yep pop the champagne corks....All 717 FOs will go to bottom. But you can only do this if you go to arbitration. So please don't negotiate with AAI simply demand arbitration. Thanks

I only, and hope for a fair outcome for all. 200+ airframes on top of AT's are coming. So we can hopefully all enjoy the ride.

Pop the champagne?? Bc the 717 FOs go to the bottom??

Latest resources

Back