Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

fussle

Oh John...
I was just wondering if anyone knew about how long it takes to obtain your a&p license. I am considering becoming an a&p, and am currently looking for programs in indiana.

That all depends how you intend to go about certification. Formal schooling can be done in as little as twelve months, and last as long as two years. You can go to work as a mechanic's assistant, performing the duties of an aircraft mechanic full time for eighteen months to qualify to test for a Mechanic certificate with either a powerplant rating or an airframe rating. Or, you can go to work for 30 verifiable months of full time employment as a mechanic, and qualify to test for both ratings.

There is no mechanic license. There is an FAA issued Mechanic certificate upon which you can obtain both an Airframe rating, and a Powerplant rating.

Join the USMC (Uncle Sams Misguided Children), swing with the wing, get your experience, go to the free A&P Embry-Riddle classes they will provide, take your tests and thats it. Get paid to get your A&P

I did both,

5 years fixing airframes in the Marines, which met the requirements for my Airframe certificate. Then I went to school for 8 months for my Powerplant cert.

A word of caution regarding the military route, you could get stuck in an MOS that dosen't count in the eyes of the FAA, possibly GSE, Ordance, Parachute rigger, ect.

I worked as a plane captain and a power plant mech and had them add it to my 214 when i got out and the Feds accepted both for the requirements needed for both ratings Took the crash course and pass the test
At the time i was in it was a 6022 6012 not sure what numbers they use now but that was back in the A6,A4 days Good luck

Don't call me a Hater....
If I knew then what I know now about aviation, I would still have done my turn with the Marines (no other experience like it), but I would have RAN to the nearest General Moters ASE Certified class room and been better off not putting another wrench on an airplane ever again.
But hey, I love working on the POS and don't know anything better.

I will tell you this, auto mechanics make better money.

I believe that it is still in the FARs that you have to have 18 month of training or equivalant experience. Then take the General, Airframe and Powerplant test (oral and written). to get an A&P license.

Good luck with that.

Yeah but then you'd have to work on cars.

Meaning?

Yeah but then you'd have to work on cars.

Does that mean that you will have to join a union?

Lose you job because the company is down-sizing?

Accept the liability (by penilty of up to life in prision) if a fuel line is not properly hooked up and the car stops on the side of the road?

Have to move out of the city you and your family live in to remain employeed?

....what is your point?

Aw yes, I remember those job related moves. Nine times in 10 years.....

Latest resources

Back