Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skeezer

Yo
Here's the deal. I am currently at a USAirways WO and am seriously considering jumping ship. While I am getting all my things in order I have a few questions that maybe someone can help me out with.

1. How long would it take to be based in Northern CA (FAT, MRY, SMF any will do)? To me I don't care which aircaft I get mainly that I have a job :) . I know this type of thing changes daily, but what is the current situation.

2. How about just being based anywhere in CA?

3. How much time between training and IOE do you get for moving purposes?

I know I had more to ask but I can't think of them right now. :eek:

The USS Titanic (aka USAirways) seems to be sinking faster each day and I really miss the westside so I am pretty set at trying to get on with Skywest. Thanks in advance for the help!!

Skeezer

Hey skeezer,

FAT is a very junior base you could get it in class, if not very soon after IOE. SMF just became a RJ base so I would not plan on that for sometime, don't know about MRY other then it's a small base.You will get 5 days (I think it's 5) after you are done with sim or IOE to move. They will work with you in most cases. Skywest is a great place, and I hope you will be happy here (If you come over)

Hope this helps and I'm sure Mr. Neil will set me stright if I missed anything :)

Since your on the subject of California bases, I was curious about Skywest's other bases. Can you get DEN, SLC or PDX right out of groundschool? How do they assign your spot? SSN? Airplane type doesn't matter to me, just location, thanks

No one in the last three classes has gotten SLC, PDX, or DEN as an initial award on the Brasilia side of the house. SLC has been the MOST often awarded to newhires on the CRJ side of the house.

Domiciles are awarded by seniority in class using the last 4 of the SSAN. Aircraft awards are based on the interview results, overall experience, and needs of the company.

everyonedoa360, you didn't miss a thing except the second L in Neill. Please call me Andy.;)

everyonedoa360 and Andy thanks for the help! The more I think about it the more I want to come and work there.

I also thought of another question. If I have letters of recommendation what do I do with them? What I mean is, do I take them with me if I get an interview, or do I send them in before? I couldn't find anything of the website that discussed it. Thanks again!

Skeezer

Bases seniority...

Hey y'all ( been in Austin to much lately)

Here's the scoop on most of the bases you guys are talking about...

PDX: (Senior)
Real senior since 9-11. Company, and United, decided to scale back ops there, thus reducing the flying lines. This in turn displaced crews (pilot and FA's) making a junior pilots chances of being based there slim. THe people who were displaced are still trying to get back there.

SMF: (Senior, or about to be)
As previously mentioned, SMF just became a CRJ base. This will mean that junior people will have to wait a while to get based there. The pilots/fas who are based there will get first crack at getting a transition bid awarded to be based in SMF as CRJ crew.

FAT: (CRJ senior, EMB junior)
The RJ is getting less senior, but still can be pretty difficult to get based here. Company just increased the lines in FAT, it is unknown whether this is permanent or temporary due to the new bases opening in DEN, SBA, and PSP. The good news for FAT is that there is a lot of movement in the base since most of the CRJ capt's commute. We lost something like 9 captains to the new bases and will probably loss a few more to SMF when they open. The EMB is almost a surefire bet to get before class is completed.

As far as time to move after training, I thought it was only 4 days guaranteed. But usually, emphasis here, you can talk the schedulers out of a few more days if your really need them. Beware though - send chocolate and roses to them or else junior man/reserve calls will come at odd hours. They will do every thing they can to help you out, or you can trade trips/reserve days to get extend blocks of time off to move and get settled.

Another thing: The whole argument about taking the CRJ versus the EMB is a mute point. Without a doubt, take the EMB. 1.) Seniority - is everything, waiting for a RJ class will set you back those few precious numbers that may be need down the road. 2.) Pay - EMB and CRJ first year hourly pay is the same. You will get off EMB reserve much quicker than in the CRJ, thus making you more money in the first year and increasing your quality of life/happiness here. After that first year in the EMB, take the transition at teh same time as you first year probationary check ride - kills two birds with one stone.

Good luck getting on and fly safe.

Another question for you skywest folks.. I have an interview coming up in DEC and would like to know if they require furloughed pilots to resign thier seniority number? I know they ask but do they follow through with the request? What is the current time to upgrade on Bras. Thanks

skeezer,

I would send them to the People Department at Corporate Headquarters to the attention of Ms. Camielle Ence for inclusion in your application file. Letters from SkyWest pilots will help you GET the interview. Bring any other letters of recommendation with you to the interview also.

Cool deal, thanks again for the help Andy. :)

Skeezer

Peealot and Andy~

Thanks for all the insight guys. I'm scheduled for the Dec. 2nd groundschool (EMB120). Wondering where I should try to bid if I just want to fly a lot..Don't really care where I go initially. I know that at some of the senior bases I have a good chance of being on reserve for a while and I'm eager to fly a lot!!! If I can and once I complete my training that is.

Hope to see you up there and finally meet you in ground school Andy! You helped me out more than you wil ever know!!

Sky-dog

Latest resources

Back