Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Speedtree

lovin' life
Thanks to all the NJA guys who take the time to post for inquiring minds.

Besides the money and logging the time, what's the difference between CA and FO at NetJets? (for all you smart asses I'm not talking about decision making etc) This may sound like a strange question but basically what I am saying is, If the money doesn't matter that much and I don't need the time, who cares what seat I'm sitting in right? Am I missing anything?

Basically, I am a 121 Regional CA making good money. I live in base so I drive to work which makes me happier than the next guys and I love going to work every week. I'm just thinking about the next 30 years. I don't really have a great desire to work for a major, at least any that are hiring right now but I'm concerned about the stability of the regional industry so I'm considering NJA. I also wouldn't mind the ability to move around if I wanted. I can actually afford to come work there. What do ya'll think? I can't imagine your SICs get treated like crap.

Thanks in advance.

I have to say on the whole, 95% of the captains I fly with are just as willing to vacuum the carpet and take the trash out. The teamwork is awesome. I only had one capt in 15 months of working there that was too good to soil himself with any FO duties. He by far is the exception...

Speed, you are on the right track. There is very little that would make me want the left seat other than pay. I get to fly the left seat from time to time and yes it is nice to switch seats once in a while just to mix it up. The QOL here compared to any regional and most, if not all, majors is much higher. I flew for the regionals for almost ten years. When I came here I had to flush all the garbage and change my thinking 180 degrees. This place is not an airline and it will make you change your perceptions in a big way. Personally, I am never leaving if I can help it. I felt that way before the new contract and I still do now.

So to answer your question, all I can think of is vacation bidding and maybe schedule bidding. The more senior you are in your seat, the more likely you will get your first pic for VACA and 18 day, 15 day, sched. No big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Life is a journey, not a destination so enjoy the ride.;)

Last edited:
Speedtree - I've met several older pilots here who share a somewhat similar outlook to yours. They don't really care about being a PIC. Some of them prefer to sit as an SIC on a larger aircraft (like a Falcon or G200) than to be a PIC on a smaller plane.

QOL means different things to different people. If you don't mind the money differential, the SIC lifestyle can be pretty good here.

For me, I prefer being a PIC and logging up the time, just in case I should need it some day. I do know that some guys want to be a PIC here because it helps them pick up outside contract flying because they are a current and qualified 135 PIC.

In the end, the decision to upgrade is up to you. There's no "up or out" policy here with regards to upgrading.

Besides the money and logging the time, what's the difference between CA and FO at NetJets?​

Seniority and a paycheck.

Both pilots work as a team and meet in the middle but one guy has to set the tone and pace for the crew... PIC.

The crew is a team though. Silent cockpits just don't work at NJA. There is far too much to get done.

Oh! And EXPERIENCE. We operate in such a non standard, random environment that prior experience is very helpful.

Most times, that experience will come from the PIC just because he/she has been there before. Prior experience is a powerful tool here. Even if the PIC sounds crazy for asking to do things a certain way, there is usually a reason.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if want to know the actual duty differences between CA and FO, but I'll tell you. Here the CA does the vast majority of the preflight and after flight walk arounds while the FO takes care of the inside- cleaning, stocking, restocking at our various supply lockers, arranging the catering, taking care of the coffee/ ice/ and newspapers. Like someone else said above, almost every captain helps with the cleaning and other inside things when they have time. The CA also almost always sends the times into the company after each flight, orders up paperwork, and fills out the aircraft logbook. The CA is usually the one who waits inside the FBO to meet and greet the pax once the airplane is ready and the FO often loads and unloads the baggage while the pax get onboard, though most captains will help there also if there is a lot to put in or if they just happen to be near the baggage door when the bags come out. Typically both pilots are busy and help eachother get everything done once they finish their own duties.

If the pay difference wasn't so great or my wife made a similar salary I would happily stay FO (less responsibility and stress and better relative seniority). I would love to bid over into the big Gulfstream or BBJ programs as an FO and do that kind of flying, but the pay difference is just too big for me not to upgrade on small equipment. I'm on 3rd year FO pay on the 18 day schedule and this will be my first year that I'll beat my CA salary at the regional I was at, but my quality of life and the benefits here are just soooooo much better that it has been well worth the change and I don't plan on leaving unless something weird happens (this is aviation and lots of weird stuff happens in this profession).

As far as I'm concerned, we are a TEAM when out on the road. The only difference is that I get paid more, and I usually look better than the guy I fly with. Isn't that right Flylow?

You are typed in the plane. You want the left seat? Have at it.

Some form of standardization is, of course, required. Therefore, USUALLY the PIC takes care of everything outside the plane, and the SIC takes care of everything inside. If I get done with my postflight first, and I see a vac needs to be done, I do it. If my SIC gets done cleaning first, and someone needs to babysit the fueling process, they do it.

The owners show up early and the bags need to be loaded? If I get to it first I do it. If my SIC gets to it first, they do it.

The bottom line is that I don't care who does what, as long as it gets done safely.

As far as I'm concerned, we are a TEAM when out on the road. The only difference is that I get paid more, and I usually look better than the guy I fly with. Isn't that right Flylow?

You are typed in the plane. You want the left seat? Have at it.

Some form of standardization is, of course, required. Therefore, USUALLY the PIC takes care of everything outside the plane, and the SIC takes care of everything inside. If I get done with my postflight first, and I see a vac needs to be done, I do it. If my SIC gets done cleaning first, and someone needs to babysit the fueling process, they do it.

The owners show up early and the bags need to be loaded? If I get to it first I do it. If my SIC gets to it first, they do it.

The bottom line is that I don't care who does what, as long as it gets done safely.

Good post and a good attitude. I like the motto "dont do your job, do what needs to be done".

Now another NJs questions...
I flew with a check airman the other day, and he wants the after landing checklist done ON THE RUNWAY below 40 kts. I have NEVER heard of this. I told him he was crazy. Any thoughts?

He's nuts. You're right. I would enquire to our Director of Standards if that happened to me. Just sayin'

I flew with a check airman the other day, and he wants the after landing checklist done ON THE RUNWAY below 40 kts. I have NEVER heard of this. I told him he was crazy. Any thoughts?

Just that I agree with you. I'll flip off the landing lights as we clear, but nothing more.Until we're firmly on a taxiway at a slow speed, the checklist isn't coming out, and my head's staying upright and looking.

Because I've never gotten a surprise as I'm exiting a runway...... :rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back