9-11 is over! Now hear this!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fuel Futures...

I would think a war with a middle eastern country could initially trigger some fears among potential airline customers, especially among the international travelers. On the other hand, given all that's happened in the last year, you just don't know how people will react this time around. As for fuel costs, I wouldn't be too concerned there, most airlines are currently (just written about on the business wires) arranging to purchase jet fuel futures, essentially locking themselves in on a given fuel price for a set period of time.
RR

FamilyMan said:
Cheap oil will help return the airlines to profitable. The last thing we need is another airline failing.

Let’s get Saddam out of Iraq and put Exxon in!!!

FamilyMan

Actually, the best thing we could get is another airline failing. There are too many airlines going after too few pax.

As for cheap oil, the time it will take to gear up Alaska, and Russia is better than a decade, and in that time, an oil embargo will kill the world economy. You don't get to pick who you buy oil from, since it's a commodity, no matter what they tell you, the price is directly effected by the amount of total world production. Just look and England and Holland, they produce more oil than they consume, yet they pay European prices at the pump.

As for cheap oil, the time it will take to gear up Alaska, and Russia is better than a decade, and in that time, an oil embargo will kill the world economy. You don't get to pick who you buy oil from, since it's a commodity, no matter what they tell you, the price is directly effected by the amount of total world production

Look, Oil production in the U.S. outside ALASKA is directly tied to whether it is cheaper to pump out of the ground here or buy on the world market. Having lived in Texas most of my life, I can tell you when the price of a barrel was high, you drive a Texas highway, and in the fields off the side you see the little pumps go up and down and up and down... When prices are low, you see more of those pumps idle, and more ships showing up in Galveston and Corpus Chrisiti. Reagan made the decision long ago not to tap Alaska because he realized that having that reserve was valuable. Well, its time to tap Alaska. I guarantee that if we decided to start exploration and production up there, that OPEC in response would lower their price(i.e. produce more) to try to make it look attractive not to.

And where is the historical reference? Our economy started to surge after the gulf war was over. So what's to say it won't happen again.

1900, what you say is all true about production, but the initial effect will be negative, and you still have to get the tree huggers to work with you. They don't want cheap gas, they want less gas.

gas

what ever became of all the different car manufactors that were working on alturnate fuels???????????????????? gee i guess GM and the rest of the big boys killed this one .

i remember hearing about these types of fuels way back in the late 70's, and look at us now just let the auto maufactors run all over us, hell a guy working the line in detriot may be makes more than a pilot for doing less work,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:eek:

Everyone has been looking a the cost of fuel as the only factor concerning the growth of the Airline Industry; what about labor and the cost of maintaining old inefficient aircraft.

There are a few NEW technologies on the horizon that will definitely gave Air Transportation for the masses quite a boost.

For the short term aviation will support most of us. In 10+ years we may have to learn to program the computers that take everyone from point A to point B.

See www.skycar.com

Automatic transportation.... No knowledge....The computer does everything. The SkyCar will be VTOL and outperform a learjet.

Check it out....

DesertFalcon :p

Automatic transportation.... No knowledge....The computer does everything. The SkyCar will be VTOL and outperform a learjet.

Do a search of my post on Unmanned aerial vehicles and my experience with them in the military. I think that will build your confidence back up about a LONG LONG term career flying these things with human operators, before total automation.

(search terms Predator, global hawk, unmanned aerial vehicles)

Sorry if this is insensitive to anyone who may loose a job because of it, but I still maintain that we need an Airline to go totally out of business if this industry is to return to health and achieve good pricing power.

Too much capacity still.

but you're right, interesting reading.

Latest resources

Back