Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Thunderchief

Ultra Hog
This is a little premature, I start at ATA for the 757 this month and I am SO excited I thought I'd ask now. Do the crewmembers wear an earpiece or an earpiece with a mic? Do you use the hand mic and speakers? I can't remember the few times I jumped on a 757.

Paitently waiting for the 25th and thanks for the info!

-TC

When I flew the 757/767 at UAL we used an earpiece with a boom mic on it. Very quiet cockpit. Great airplane. You'll love it.

All our 757's (and I think the 737's as well) have headsets in them. Some are the Airman 750's and some are the Telex lightweights with the single ear-piece (ATA gives all of us new earpieces!!). I personally use my own (a Plantronics single), but a lot of the guys use what is in there! We also have the trusty hand mics! Hope that helps.

Thunderchief said:
This is a little premature, I start at ATA for the 757 this month and I am SO excited I thought I'd ask now. Do the crewmembers wear an earpiece or an earpiece with a mic? Do you use the hand mic and speakers? I can't remember the few times I jumped on a 757.

Paitently waiting for the 25th and thanks for the info!

-TC
I am probably wrong but, I think the FAA wants boom mics used until FL180.... Or something like that.

Re: Re: 757 pilots...

Neubyfly said:
I am probably wrong but, I think the FAA wants boom mics used until FL180.... Or something like that.

That is correct. Boom mics required below FL180.

Don't quote me but I am pretty sure you need the headset below 18 to keep one hand free to operate flight guidance since it's typically busier below 180. Can anyone confirm this?

Don't quote me but I am pretty sure you need the headset below 180 to keep one hand free to operate flight guidance since it's typically busier below 180. Can anyone confirm this?

That's correct, I forgot to mention it. It's also in our OpsSpecs (and probably everyone elses too!).

<<That is correct. Boom mics required below FL180.>>

What is the FAA reference for this? Company OPSPEC and is not necessarily what the FAA wants for everyone, just what is approved for a particular oeration.

GoABX said:
<<That is correct. Boom mics required below FL180.>>

What is the FAA reference for this?

Here's one:

121.359 Cockpit voice recorders.
(g) For those aircraft equipped to record the uninterrupted audio signals received by a boom or a mask microphone, the flight crewmembers are required to use the boom microphone below 18,000 feet mean sea level.

Latest resources

Back