Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
For me it was 4 years

TopBugs said:
Got theType 3 years ago and never got a call from S.W. It's going to the highest bidder.
I got the interview call at 4 years with 3000 pic turbine. Patience pays off...

If I called you on the phone to solicit you for a "business opportunity" which I said could earn you $2-$3 million dollars over the course of the next 25 years......BUT........

1. You had to pay a non-refundable investment of $8000
2. After paying the "investment" you only had a 20% chance of winning
3. IF you won there was still a roughly 30-50% chance that the whole deal could still go bust due to the investment company possible "furloughing" your investment within the next 25 years.

........would you be willing to take the risk and pay me the $8000 non-refundable? Just sayin'.

El-Rushbo said:
If I called you on the phone to solicit you for a "business opportunity" which I said could earn you $2-$3 million dollars over the course of the next 25 years......BUT........

1. You had to pay a non-refundable investment of $8000
2. After paying the "investment" you only had a 20% chance of winning
3. IF you won there was still a roughly 30-50% chance that the whole deal could still go bust due to the investment company possible "furloughing" your investment within the next 25 years.

........would you be willing to take the risk and pay me the $8000 non-refundable? Just sayin'.

Nice analogy except for all of it is flawed. First, There is no need to buy the type until after your hired., second, you don't win the job, you loose it during the process, third, anything is possible, monkeys could fly out my, you get the picture. Finally, how the hel@ do you get %30-50 failure rate with SWA??? Everybody is entitled to there opinion, no matter how absurd.

O.K. the pot is getting bigger. I'll throw in my AA seniority number, plus my 5 pilot uniforms in the closet, plus, and this is a biggie, my JB stock options. I think my uniforms are worth more though.

Scoreboard:

"There is no need to buy the type until after your hired."

Then how come so many people are biting the bullet and paying for useless training? Because there is a perceived advantage to doing so? ;)

"you don't win the job, you loose it during the process"

Did you DRINK all of the Kool-Aid or was it administered rectally? :blush:

"third, anything is possible"

Seriously. Are you incapable of even accepting the POSSIBILITY that now that Southwest employs the highest paid 737 drivers in the hemisphere that (once the fuel hedges go away) they just MIGHT find themselves in the same situation that many other airlines do? I honestly hope you're right. :rolleyes:

"how the hel@ do you get %30-50 failure rate with SWA?"

What is the more accurate percentage? I'm not a gambling man but it would take some really promising numbers to make me believe that an $8500 lottery ticket is a good idea. :nuts:

"Everybody is entitled to THEIR opinion, no matter how absurd."

First, please allow me to correct your spelling. THERE is a place. THEIR implies ownership. :rolleyes:

And as for the rest of the statement -- I agree!

Last edited:
BenderGonzales said:
Scoreboard:

"There is no need to buy the type until after your hired."

Then how come so many people are biting the bullet and paying for useless training? Because there is a perceived advantage to doing so? ;)

Well, training is not useless unless you think it is, any education is a good thing. More is better. Why do so many buy the type? It does increase your marketability, your options. Why should SWA hire those without a type at equal or greater percentage than those with it? Would you buy a car without A/C? Or would you take the same car with A/C for the same price? Why is this so hard to figure out? In the end, we do hire people without the type.

"you don't win the job, you loose it during the process"

Did you DRINK all of the Kool-Aid or was it administered rectally? :blush:

Nope, I don't like the taste of it, especially through that orifice. The truth is, and you obviously don't believe it, but you walk into any interview at any company and they want you to succeed. Period. They don't want to mess around. They have better things to do. You loose it by: being a d*#*k, being a lump on a log, lying about who you are, others telling some less than good things about you, having a checkered past. SWA did not invent this, it's industry standard.

"third, anything is possible"

Seriously. Are you incapable of even accepting the POSSIBILITY that now that Southwest employs the highest paid 737 drivers in the hemisphere that (once the fuel hedges go away) they just MIGHT find themselves in the same situation that many other airlines do? I honestly hope you're right. :rolleyes:

As i said, anything is possible, but come on, a 50 percent chance of failure? In the near term? Not. 30 years from now, maybe/probably, this number was pulled out of his arse.

"how the hel@ do you get %30-50 failure rate with SWA?"

What is the more accurate percentage? I'm not a gambling man but it would take some really promising numbers to make me believe that an $8500 lottery ticket is a good idea. :nuts:

Again, you do not need to buy the type until your hired. Your not a gambling man, yet you base this discussion on percentages. Everyone who walks through that door has an equal chance. The PD department ensures that it remains that way. Applicants for any job loose during the "sale".

"Everybody is entitled to THEIR opinion, no matter how absurd."

First, please allow me to correct your spelling. THERE is a place. THEIR implies ownership. :rolleyes:

And as for the rest of the statement -- I agree!

Ok Binder, but only cause I have a few moments to waste, first, and oh my gosh, thanks for pointing out my spelling error, puts you right up THERE with a select few on this forum who show THEIR (i think i got it right this time)true colors, ie pointless pontificators. The rest of my points are above, have a great day!!

Last edited:
Just to clarify, I was not implying SWA has a 30-50% chance of going out of business. I was referring to YOUR having a 30-50% chance, over the course of a 25 year career, of hitting a furlough. As most of us here have experienced anywhere from 2-5 on average in a career, I felt a 30-50% chance, yes even with SWA, is something to consider. Anyone who believes otherwise, just look at the legacies over the last 5 years that no one would have predicted the troubles they have gone through and furloughs. Better to assume the worst and hope for the best. Again, just sayin'.

El-Rushbo said:
Just to clarify, I was not implying SWA has a 30-50% chance of going out of business. I was referring to YOUR having a 30-50% chance, over the course of a 25 year career, of hitting a furlough. As most of us here have experienced anywhere from 2-5 on average in a career, I felt a 30-50% chance, yes even with SWA, is something to consider. Anyone who believes otherwise, just look at the legacies over the last 5 years that no one would have predicted the troubles they have gone through and furloughs. Better to assume the worst and hope for the best. Again, just sayin'.

Agreed. Best point yet, prepare for worst, hope for best, I like that. I don't want to get into any more details on the future of SWA, it's like saying "smooth ride" to ATC, and you always know what happens next:)

Latest resources

Back