Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
P-F-T

PCL_128 said:
The written eval is a joke and the sim eval is more of a fun session in the 1900 sim than a test. Class sizes have quadrupled and failure rates on initial PC's (441 rides) have shot up. The POI for GIA is an old friend of the owner of GIA, so he just looks the other way on most things. GIA is not going to be able to keep up it's safety record for long the way things are going . . . .

They are merely turning a hefty profit and that's all that matters to them. The VP of Flt Ops is trying his best to keep things safe, but upper mgmt only cares about the profits being pulled in from PFT . . . . GIA is currently making about 12-15k profit off of everyone that goes into the program . . . . but since they raised prices and reduced standards and trng the profits have shot up. They are merely taking advantage of pilots . . . .
(emphasis added)

Your Honor, I rest my case.

Just one more question. How many of the washouts have received refunds of their P-F-T tuition?

I thought so . . . .

Thanks for having the integrity to speak up.

Re: P-F-T

bobbysamd said:
(emphasis added)

Your Honor, I rest my case.

Just one more question. How many of the washouts have received refunds of their P-F-T tuition?

Good question. I don't remember the refund policy word for word, but it basically went like this: After you finished the first 2 weeks of ground school (indoc) you had given up all but 7k of your 26k "investment". The 7k decreased until the day of your 85% checkride in the Level D sim. If you fail the checkride you're pretty much screwed. They'd give you a second try at the sim ride, but after that you're money is long gone.

blade230 said:
once again, 40, not 47.

The last list I saw (about 3 weeks ago) was for 47. It's possible that they narrowed the list further before they called everyone and offered them the job, but I doubt it.

The number I was told was 40, the GTA website also says 40.

Also PCL-128, even though GTA has many problems, it sure worked well for you, getting you into an RJ at your age.

P.S. We have mutual friends.

Last edited:
blade230 said:
The number I was told was 40, the GTA website also says 40.

Also PCL-128, even though GTA has many problems, it sure worked well for you, getting you into an RJ at your age.

P.S. We have mutual friends.

Yes, GTA worked very well for me. Those that are lucky do very well after leaving GIA. Unfortunately, in the couple of years I was at GIA I saw many friends finish the FO program and not get any jobs. Not to mention the fact that it takes the average new line pilot at GIA about 6-9 months to finish their 250. For heaven's sake, look at the seniority list! Half of the pilots on it are FOs in the First Officer program still working on their 250!! What is Cooper going to do when he needs to upgrade people to captain and all the FOs on the list are 250hr probationary pilots? I'll tell you what he'll do: he'll hire street captains again and charge them 20k for the "opportunity" to sit left seat in one of his ratty old airplanes. Things just keep getting worse over there. So yes, I did very well after leaving the 'stream. However, most people aren't so lucky.

Gulfstream.. wow. I just looked and found out if I pay $24k, together with my current 1400 hours and ratings, I could finally be flying right seat in a 1900 :) Do they offer discounts? Like maybe if I could just fly for free or something...

As long as there are wealthy pilots, there will be PFT.

Some people can't wait to wear polyester before they are truly qualified to get in that front seat. And don't give me any B.S. about passing 121 checkrides. That is only paper qualification.

It is like training a new student only in the traffic pattern. After an amazingly low number of hours, they can solo. Everyone EXCEPT the student knows that the student's skills and knowledge are full of holes. If the student is humble, they willl soon learn that fact, and seek to fill in those holes. If they are cocky, they will disregard that fact and remain a 'cardboard character'.

I'd rather start a job that I was 100% capable of performing than be a wannabe.

Here's a little test:

How much informal 'IOE' do you get on regular line trips?

Hint: If you've got more than 200 hours in the plane and you are still getting help and advice any more than ocassionally, you are sort of a student pilot.
Do your captains let you hand fly?
Can you fly to ATP standards every day - without the A/P?

As airplanes become more automated, the need for real pilot talent will diminish, and we can probably expect zero-timers to right into a jet. (Yes, I'm exaggerating).

The real test will be when all these guys start upgrading en masse. Never been in charge of an airplane. Some will do well. Some won't.

I agree with whoever said that PFT simply tells the company that you don't think you are worth anything.
They remember this during negotiations.

PFT airlines, for the most part, have crappy contracts.

Good luck PFTers - sincerely.

But I still do feel bad for all the non-wealthy 1000-1500 hr CFIs
who have busted their tails and have to wait.

Latest resources

Back