Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

wmuflyguy

flunky
Came across this question on AviationInterviews.com.

What are the 3 things that cause a stall?

Am i missing something here?

A stall occurs when the ccritical Angle of Attack had been exceeded. I can't think of anythig else that causes a stall.

I guess i'm not sure what they are looking for with the question.

Maybe they are looking at a deeper level... like deenergized boundary layer, adverse pressure gradient, etc.

perhaps they are looking for simple obvious things...?

Like Low air speed, Abrubt control maneuvers, and ...whateveryacanthinkof :confused:

They are not looking for departure, approach, and trim? Too me those are types, but maybe they need to re-phrase the question.

Last edited:
Maybe its a trick question. Perhaps they want to find out if you BS your way through the answer by coming up with wierd stuff.

If i were at an interview and i got that question, i'd probably go "I'm sorry, 3?" and then go with the explanation wmuflyguy gave. Then say, "Unless you ment three flight conditions.... then yadaya".

It's a comair question I believe. You should post something on regionals, and see if any Comair guys bite.

Stalls

wmuflyguy said:
A stall occurs when the critical Angle of Attack had been exceeded. I can't think of anythig else that causes a stall.
Nor can I. Exceeding the critical AOA is the only cause for a stall that I learned and taught.

??

mattpilot said:
perhaps they are looking for simple obvious things...?

Like Low air speed, Abrubt control maneuvers, and ...whateveryacanthinkof :confused:

You can stall at any airspeed and at any attitude. Its all about the Angle of Attack

paulsalem said:
You can stall at any airspeed and at any attitude. Its all about the Angle of Attack

yes i know that.... but things that can cause you to exceed the AoA are some of the conditions i listed.... :p

Edit: i still think its a trick question

Last edited:
I'm with Vnugget, they must be looking for more detailed aerodynamic explainations -- the flow seperation moving forward as the critical angle of attack is reached, causing the low pressure effect above the wing to go away.. good question to study up on

Latest resources

Back