• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

2 Stroke reliability

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Re-read my post, and you'll learn that the most efficient engine in the world, as cited, is...a two stroke. Go figure.

Pound for pound, the two stroke has the potential to put out twice the power that the four stroke does. Which puts out more power (forget bales of cotton or tons of lead); a one ton two stroke, or a one ton four stroke...and you'll find it's the two stroke engine. Once you get away from very small two strokes, the fuel efficiency on the four stroke is still superior, particularly for the power produced. Fuel effiency was never part of my discussion; this was introduced by others and attributed to me.

I did say that pound for pound the two stroke is more efficient, and it IS.

When considering the power it can produce, it's utility makes it far more advantageous in many installations from light aircraft to heavy cruise ships, and owing to the ability to do what it can do vs. a four stroke that would have to be built to compete, it's still more fuel efficient.

You may have noticed some of the comparitive links regarding fuel burn vs. work performed..and you'll find that there's little disparity on the count of fuel burn. Read again, a little more closely.

To avoid this kind of confusion, just always specify the type of efficiency you're talking about when you use the word... i.e., alway say fuel efficiency, or weight efficiency, or whatever the case may be. Presto, everybody's talking about the same thing.

Sometimes I find that not doing so tends to promote discussion, where those involved are able to remain civil.

Re-read my post, and you'll learn that the most efficient engine in the world, as cited, is...a two stroke. Go figure.

Not a fair comparison. We're talking about aircraft engines. That engine is a *diesel* and weighs over 2000 tons. It has almost no common features with a gasoline 2-stroke. For example, it has a 4-stroke style crankcase filled with engine oil. It uses a turbocharger and high-pressure common rail fuel injection directly into the cylinder, and seperate blower for exhaust scavanging. As for weight efficiency, it produces only .025 hp per pound. That means that if you scaled it to aircraft size, a 60 hp engine would weigh 2400 pounds.

It is possible to bring the fuel efficiencies and emmisions of 2-strokes up to near 4-stroke levels using technologies such as direct injection. The Evinrude E-tec outboards are a good example. However the complexity increases and so does the cost and weight. So far we have not seen any of these "advanced" 2-strokes for aviation use.

You keep claiming that you were never talking about fuel efficiency, or being deliberatly vague to promote discussion.... but I just don't see it. You repeatedly brought up fuel efficiency, and made the specific claim that a 2-stroke engine produced more power for the fuel burned.

avbug said:
and as far as fuel efficiency, far more efficient than a four stroke engine

The horse is beat dead, answering your post would only rehash what I have stated before, which is true and correct, and by which I continue to stand.

I'm done with this thread.

Discussions on efficiency aside, there is another aspect to the reliability issue that needs to be mentioned - these engines are used on amateur-designed, experimental aircraft. I've got a good friend who has been involved in the ultralight movement since day one. (There are two or three aircraft that he's been involved with at hanging at the Air & Space Museum in Washington D.C.) I've flown my share of ultralights and I've never really had an engine failure in one, but I have had a propeller and an airframe failure. The engine is probably the least of my worries - I wouldn't touch one unless it came with a ballastic parachute system.

LS

Latest resources

Back