172 spins

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

tarp

OK, I've got a CFI candidate that needs to spin. Somebody tattoo'd my favorite C-152 and it's down for the count - in fact the ding is big enough I may not want to try spinning her again.

So I'm left with a C-172-L model with burned out enough gyros that the owner doesn't care.

I've only spun a newer "P" model and I got to say that it is a hard plane to get into a spin. So what about the older 172's. Will I get C-152 rotation or is this a 1-2-3 and out whether I want to or not?

I liked the C-152 and Aerobat, not to mention good old Citabrias for just mashing the rudder and descending on the planet until the other seat couldn't take it anymore. The "P" model was a huge disappointment.

And yes, I'm old fashioned. The CFI candidate gets spins both left and right (which I could not get the "P" to go right) then I have them do a cross-control stall into a spin and finally a four turn spin to show mastery. Do you think I can get the L-model to do all that?

Oh and let's cut down on offshoot topics:

Yes, I'm experienced and have something like 100 spins in my book.
Yes, the airplane will be in the Utility category for W&B.
Yes, I know a burst of power and some aileron will help it move left.

Just looking for someone who has spun a K-L-M type model and knows what it will do!

I did them with my students in an N model... Full power, cross controlled and it spun pretty good, both left and right, just remember as soon as the stall breaks get the power to idle cuz you'll have a windshield full of ground. I think we could get about 3 turns before it would break into a spiral (you'd see the airspeed pop abruptly from zero to about 50 kts and climb rapidly from there)

172 P

Spins to the left nice and easy. To spin to the right you're going to need some power. Try anywhere from 1500-1700 RPM. Like said above...pull the power once in the spin...

My flight school spins the C172F series pretty regularly. We also have a citabria onhand. The 172F will do the 1-2-3 and out automatically, the citabria as you know won't. If you want to do the 4 turn you mentioned, you probably won't get it in the 172.

Thanks for the replies.

Did the spins. Big disappointment. 1-2-3 and wham the thing is falling out in a spiral. Got it to go right and got sort of a cross control into a spin by smashing the rudder at the last minute. What a pig. Without a real nice sharp stall, it was always falling into a spiral with climbing airspeed - pain in the butt.

I need to find better friends that own things like an Aerobat or a nice Decathalon. Ah well.

The guy is officially signed off for becoming a CFI, so I did my job.

Thanks again - the accumulated wisdom of the board prevails.

Latest resources

Back