• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Nikes

LT
Hello,
Well ill try to make this short and to the piont. I am a Senior and ERAU hoping to get a slot with a ANG unit after a graduate (like everyone else ). I was looking and the 142nd up in Oregon (and other units) however i have heard that the 142nd are planing on changing aircraft. Does any one what they may end up flying, or if they will even still fly fighters and, when is a change planned to happen?

PS i have the app. package and, also a form from the 173rd which is a flight training wing ... should i even try and apply to the 173rd with no F-15 time?

Nikes

173 FW

Nikes,
It sounds to me like you're under the impression that you have to have time in an Eagle in order to apply to an ANG Eagle FTU unit. I interviewed with them this summer and I am a civilian. I only had 100 hours and a PPL at the time. So, in other words, civilians can get interviews at FTU units just like they can at other units.

BTW, take what I say with a grain of salt, but I'm pretty sure the 173 FW has a strong preference for hiring from within. If I recall correctly, they invited 16 of us to interview...12 were enlisted in the unit.

Hope that helps. - Ryan Paul

Last edited:
Ryan's right. I do know of a guy hired by the Tucson viper unit (another RTU) but he was to get "seasoned" at another operational guard viper unit before going back to Tucson. Sounded like an awesome deal. He went through SUPT here at Columbus. He struggled here and unfortunately, didn't make it through IFF. And yes..he was prior enlisted in that unit.

No ACFT Change

Nikes,

I haven't heard about any aircraft change at Klamath. The job add you found is for a Technician position. These announcements are not for UPT hopefuls. As mentioned Klamath is looking for F-15 IPs only. A better bet would be with the Portland F-15 unit.

just to clarify

"As mentioned Klamath is looking for F-15 IPs only. A better bet would be with the Portland F-15 unit."

Apply to both...CCDiscoB is right about Klamath only having positions for Eagle IPs, but that doesn't mean you can't get the job as a civilian.

So how does a guy with zero time in an F-15 get hired to be an Eagle IP? If I remember correctly...the FTU unit basically hires you and sends you to UPT. There you get the same exact training as any other ANG Eagle selectee. When you graduate, you'll go to an operational unit (i.e. 142 FW in Portland) and do your seasoning period there instead of returning to your home FTU unit. By the end of your seasoning period, you should be able to qualify to become an IP.

At this point my memory is fuzzy as to where things go from there. I'm really uncertain, but I think you have to be a 4-ship flight lead and have 500 hours in the Eagle in order to be eligible to be trained as an IP. Anyway, once you are an IP you then return to the FTU unit and train fledgling AD and ANG Eagle drivers in the 15C.

BTW, the Captain that was explaining all this to me also added that not all of their candidates sometimes make the upgrade to IP even though they have all the necessary requirements.

Flaco, care to jump in on this one...is all of this info correct?

Klamath Falls

Nikes,

You said you are at ERAU, AZ or FL? Are you from OR? I'm going to assume you're not, and say be careful what you ask for. Klamath Falls is not out in the middle of no-where, it is the middle of no-where. If you're not totally into hunting or lumberjacking, you won't enjoy life. Forget about it if you're single.

They really don't have part-timers there. So if you have visions of flying part-time for them, it won't happen. Besides commuting out of there would be a nightmare.

Selections by RTUs for UPT

Ryan pretty much hit the nail on the head. If you get picked up by an RTU, you will go to UPT and RTU and then get farmed out to another operational unit for 500 hours. As far as being a four ship lead, etc, I'm not sure. But I do know that some RTUs will select guys for UPT. I'm proof of that.

Flaco

It's starting already......

Lemme guess, I should have said "Ryan pretty much hit the nail on the head [sts]." Right?

Latest resources

Back