Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BRA

Rollins Rules!
This is in regards to 141 schools which have self examining authority. If you bust a 141 checkride do you write this on future pilot applications? Such as an instrument stage 2 check or whatever? Or during a background check do all ratings you obtained through part 141 show as a pass if you finally got the rating?

I am sure that anything you bust that was administered by a designated examiner must be reported on an application. Any thoughts?

I'd think that if you "busted" a ride that the school has self examining authority for, you wouldn't put it on the application or discuss it during an interview. The only thing in your airman file would be busted checkrides (8710s and disapprovals) taken with a "fed". The "busted" "stage checks" are just "lessons" in the 141 self examining authority world.

At least that's how I understand it and how it was explained to me.

So to answer your question, if I busted my stage two commercial oral, I wouldn't say anything..

-mini

BRA

A stage check at a 141 school is not a checkride.

If you filled out an 8710 for it and failed it, you probably should fess up. When I was an IP at a large 141 school, they reported failed certificate rides only. They have to because they must show a percentage of first time passes to keep their self examining authority.

For some 141 schools even the final checkride for the rating is administered by the chief pilot, or assistant or just a designated flight instructor. You could bust it....but i am thinking that once the final paper work goes into the local FSDO it shows as a "Pass". So am i right in saying that you could bust your private through multi rides however be able to tell a regional airline that you have never busted a checkride?

ok that makes sence, i can guess which school you are talking about, haha.

BRA said:
For some 141 schools even the final checkride for the rating is administered by the chief pilot, or assistant or just a designated flight instructor. You could bust it....but i am thinking that once the final paper work goes into the local FSDO it shows as a "Pass". So am i right in saying that you could bust your private through multi rides however be able to tell a regional airline that you have never busted a checkride?

Yes.

They only have to send in a completed 8710 with a pass so your ticket can be processed. The bust just stays "in house". Most schools keep a record so they know what instructors are instructing and which ones are just d!cking around...

-mini

minitour said:
Yes.

They only have to send in a completed 8710 with a pass so your ticket can be processed. The bust just stays "in house". Most schools keep a record so they know what instructors are instructing and which ones are just d!cking around...

-mini

Bad idea. The airlines have ways of finding out about things like that, and if you said no, and they find out yes, bam! You be outta there.

Ralgha said:
Bad idea. The airlines have ways of finding out about things like that, and if you said no, and they find out yes, bam! You be outta there.

So you'd tell them "oh yeah, I failed a lesson"?

Any time you have a 141 school with examining authority, if you "bust" the practical test, it just becomes another "lesson". I don't see the point in telling them you busted a check ride when you really didn't.

-mini

Yes, you tell them you failed a stage check. Crap people, why does everyone think that busting a ride is the end of the world? It's not a big deal, really. Seriously. Infact, having a 100% pass rate might incur tougher questions on the interview.

Ralgha said:
Yes, you tell them you failed a stage check. Crap people, why does everyone think that busting a ride is the end of the world? It's not a big deal, really. Seriously. Infact, having a 100% pass rate might incur tougher questions on the interview.

I'll agree with that. We don't want to bust a ride because we don't want to feel like a "loser". But you're right...learn something and move on. Great point and a good way to turn it into a positive.

-mini

Latest resources

Back