135 Scabs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dave Benjamin said:
Scenario 1. You own a house. The deck is badly deteriorated and needs to be replaced. You've got bids from several contractors ranging from $4000-$6000. You find out your neighbor 3 houses away is a retired general contractor and a master carpenter. He tells you he'd be happy to do the project for $2750. Since he's retired his schedule is flexible and he can start any time you'd like him to? Do you hire him or go with the contractor for twice as much?

Scenario 2. Same house. Plumbing needs to be redone. Turns out a neighbor is a retired plumber who used to have his own plumbing company. He's replumbed hundreds of houses just like yours. His bid is about half of what a regular plumber would charge. Who do you hire?

Scenario 3. Your wife swipes a guardrail with your car. You don't have collision coverage so the repairs are coming out of your own pocket. Body shop quotes 2500. Guy down the street is a retired body and fender guy who has been doing repairs and restorations since dents were filled with lead. He'll do it for a grand. Hire him or go with the shop downtown?

Scenario 4. It's tax time. You have a complicated return due to owning a few rental properties and a retail business. The fee at the place that normally does your taxes is $550. At a cocktail party you meet a guy that just retired as VP of accounting for a medium sized corporation. He tells you he has all the current tax software on his computer and that he does tax returns for friends and family just to "keep a hand in the business." He further explains that he wants to stay in accounting part time just to keep his mind sharp and so he doesn't get bored now that he has a lot of spare time. He'll do your tax return for $175 and a bottle of Ranch Zebaco Dancing Bull Zinfandel ($14). Who does your tax return?

Sorry Dave, but all your scenarios have one flaw.

What you lay out above describes a "one time" deal. Now, if I hired my neighbor down the street to do the work on my deck, car or tax return, then hired him/her to start a business and work on a full-time basis, the scenarios would fit the problem and reality a little better.

Hiring my neighbor one time to do my deck, sure. Hiring my neighbor one time to fly my jet ( I wish!), sure. Hiring my neighbor to manage or fly my jet full-time on a routine basis at a discounted rate, NO!

Besides my neighbor would have to be an idiot to work on decks every day at a discounted rate just because he's got some spare time or doesn't need the dime. If they're that well off, then take the full pay and give to charity.

These guys are right, people willing to work for less of PFT are undercutting the industry.

Just a thought...

eP.

Last edited:
If you get training or a type rating from an employer, and then leave shortly after, to the employer that makes you a bad guy who's ripped him off.

However, employer *always* ask for applicants who are current and typed, because they don't want to pay anything for training. So every employer wants you to rip off a another employer for his benefit.

ePilot22 said:
Sorry Dave, but all your scenarios have one flaw.

What you lay out above describes a "one time" deal. Now, if I hired my neighbor down the street to do the work on my deck, car or tax return, then hired him/her to start a business and work on a full-time basis, the scenarios would fit the problem and reality a little better.

Hiring my neighbor one time to do my deck, sure. Hiring my neighbor one time to fly my jet ( I wish!), sure. Hiring my neighbor to manage or fly my jet full-time on a routine basis at a discounted rate, NO!

Besides my neighbor would have to be an idiot to work on decks every day at a discounted rate just because he's got some spare time or doesn't need the dime. If they're that well off, then take the full pay and give to charity.

These guys are right, people willing to work for less of PFT are undercutting the industry.

Just a though...

eP.

So you'll look for the best value but business owners shouldn't. It's a free country. We can't prevent people from offering their services for less money. You have a couple of choices. One is to provide superior service and make it worthwhile for your employer to pay you more. The other is to withdraw your services and do something else for a living. All I'm trying to point out is what everyone complains about happens everywhere. It's not a problem limited to aviation. Everyone who uses the services of the retired accountant I used in my scenario is taking away business from a regular accounting firm. We have the same problems in the regionals. There are some people that fly for a hobby and could care less about whether or not our pay is where it should be. Ultimately you're trying to get around capitalism and free markets. You might need to move to country with a different economic system if that's what you're after. Your employer is looking to get the most bang for his buck. If he can hire a retired guy who can get the job done for less without complaints he's probably going to do it.

How big a problem is it? Chances are the percentage of retired is not all that high. Most of them don't want to work as hard as we do. The golf course or boat has more allure than a life spent in FBO's or hotels.

Dave B. this is a pilot board stop dealing in reality

hawkerjet said:
...I don't mean to offend the military rank and file; and if you are offended, it is not my intention, it's the few that work below established norms. by below norms i mean a Chief Pilot making below $80,000 that oversee's more than 12 planes including Gulfstreams, and another DO making below $60,000 working for an even larger company.

Would this be @ CMA and VNY - down by the golf course :rolleyes:

LAZYB said:
Would this be @ CMA and VNY - down by the golf course :rolleyes:
I was thinking the SAME thing! There's also a CP @ SBA making ~50K. Same dept. that offered a pilot on this board $40K to be captain on a G200.:confused:

Pretty pathetic.

Yes those are 2 out of 3 airports I'm talking about. BUR is the 3rd.
I started this thread to vent my feelings and see what kind of feedback I could get. So far I am extremely happy to see I am not the only one who thinks like this. I don't like the situation, but have decided to grab the bull by the horns and do something about it.I have confronted the pilot and discussed with him the con's of working for a lower wage. I also talked with my boss who was not happy at first ( still isn't but has warmed a little) but the talks are still ongoing. While a few people in management aren't happy, I believe a lot more good will come of this to include better morale and pilot retention. These two things alone will make pilots work harder and more diligently,thus saving the company money on operating costs, and retention.
Thanks to all who commented..

Things that make you go hmmmmm...

Anyone ever notice that between CMA, BUR and VNY there's an unusual number of CP's or DO's named Mark?

The unfortunate reality, gang, is that these "scabs" usually show up more qualified than the average bear, willing to work harder, and they hardly EVER complain. Take your choice as an employer... Who do you want?

They normally have a lot of expereince running an office outside of the cockpit, which is why you hire these guys as managment.

Latest resources

Back