• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

121 or corporate?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
They provide a cell phone ? Hmmm....nice fringe. I'd hold out for a beeper AND the Cell. The real clincher would be the batteries. Now if you could just swing all of these. Man, jobs like these are tough to find, but sweeeeeet when you do ; )

I would have to agree with the others. If you were fed up with 121 flying and wanted out for good, as I am, you would take the 135 job. Stating that the lure of 121 will be there when things improve tells me you would likely regret your choice to go corporate. Look 10 years down the road and think which will have a more positive outcome.

Good Luck!

Now that young Parrothead has heard from you jaded corporate types, here's the airline side of the story ;) :

Unless Parrot is 15 years old, he's going to be competing for that coveted "major airline job" with the thousands of RJ captains (many of whom were left standing when the major airline hiring music stopped on 9/12/01). These guys have several thousand hours of jet PIC time and are building more at the rate of 80 hours a month. AND he will have to compete with my ex-FO's (and the thousands of other cast aways from USAir, UAL, DAL...etc. all of whom have several thousand hours of big jet time--many with types and experience on 767's and the like.

It is ugly out there. The guys who are getting interviews at JB, AirTran and SWA are people like me. Ex captains at TWA or USAir or former major FO's who want a shot with a successful airline. It is a very LONG way to the head of the hiring line.

Did I mention it's REALLY ugly out there? You can find someone to blow sunshine up your a$$ and make a case for either path. AND you can find someone who will make you want to slit your wrists at the prospect of continuing your career in aviation. I just think you have more options by going corporate. But that's just my opinion, I may be wrong... ;) :D TC

some_dude said:
In my experience, the best corporate jobs are the ones where the airplane is used primarily for business purposes. Then the pax want to get home just as much as you do.

These are the ONLY good corp jobs. Unfortunatly, many times one has to suffer through the "rich owner" and the "isnt it great to go to apsen every weekend" $hit jobs before landing a good one...

PS - I loved that "company provided cell phone" thing too!!!
:D ..

Youre gonna need it, might as well shut off your home phone, you wont be there....

Last edited:
I have two friends that fly for a very rich owner. They make a lot more $ than I do flying for a Fortune 15 corporation. However, I know that my job will be here for a long time, I don't know what will happen to them if their owner decides to sell the plane or die. I just went through training with a guy that also flew for a rich owner. His stories of $400 diners and all expenses paid trips to play golf at Pebble Beach sounded pretty nice, but I would rather have a $30 diner and long term job security. Just some things to think about.

Really though, if you want to get to a major airline (whatever that is, Southwest I guess), I suggest that you build your 121 PIC time at the Regional Airline.

Gulfstream 200 said:
These are the ONLY good corp jobs.
Wow...Where can I find one of those? I thought living on the beach, knowing my schedule two months in advance, averaging 20+ days off/month and working for a wonderful family ranked as a good corp. job.

PS-My avatar is from our last RON... 6 weeks ago.:)

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back