Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

labbats

Zulu who?
This has happened to me twice in the last month. Once at YYZ and once at JFK. RJ 7 miles in trail of a heavy, both of us on the LOC and us 1000' below them.

I realize we have the separation, but when they capture the GS they will descend into our altitude and we all know what the wake will do.

My question is whether this is a common procedure or if the controllers made a mistake.

Do controllers have training on the extent of what happens when we hit wake? It can be pretty serious and hurt people aboard. Imagine someone sneaking up behind you and kicking your chair out from under you when you least expect it.

If you have the speration you should be okay. Wake usually decends at about 1000 feet a minute. So with that, there wake would be below you by the time you got there. Plus you have to consider winds aloft, worst cause is there is none.

But with that separation and time you should be okay.
Did you hit wake both times???

We had a good xwind the second time and missed it at JFK and I simply didn't descend at YYZ. If they yelled at me I'd let them know why.

I understand wake sinking at 800 feet or so and hanging there, but when they sink down from above and onto the GS to descend, then we would hit it with calm winds without a doubt.

On another note, I heard some ERJ FO at Eagle maintained flight idle from 5000' to touchdown!

We had a good xwind the second time and missed it at JFK and I simply didn't descend at YYZ. If they yelled at me I'd let them know why.

I understand wake sinking at 800 feet or so and hanging there, but when they sink down from above and onto the GS to descend, then we would hit it with calm winds without a doubt.

I totally agree. It is some jacked up vectoring, and I will really be worried without winds aloft. But then again if you are 7 miles behind him I don't think I would worry too much.

Latest resources

Back