Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why hire military over your competition?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
For sure, I just don't recall the practice approach restriction, not saying there wasn't one.

I am now calling you stupid because PARs were hand flown, CATIII's are coupled autopilot approaches. Stay in your sim.

Do you work for Asiana?
You seem to have the hypersensitivity that the others have.

Also, how many 100ft / 1800RVR have you flown raw data in real weather?

Just asking.

And yeah, PAR is not that impressive. Just requires good stick skills, no navigation skills.

B|itch, please.

I gave up counting all of the whiney(or whiny, take your pick) replies from the "civilian" pilots after about 20 or so.You boys sure have big old inferiority complexes.

Then you have a reading comprehension problem.

It is the military defenders who seem to have a need to claim superiority.
As for little old civilian me, I say "it all depends on the individual pilot".
If you loosen up your eyeballs a little, you'll notice who is actually being defensive.

I'm the one saying that sometimes civilian pilots outperform military, and sometimes military outperform civilian. I think that this comes from the fact that military pilots often think they are worlds apart as aviators, and they loathe the humbling experience of finding out that many civilian pilots are exceptional airmen also.

A deep and abiding need to feel superior is one sign of narcissism. Just sayin'

Nice try, though, old timer.

Last edited:
Also, how many 100ft / 1800RVR have you flown raw data in real weather?

Just asking.

I have, hand flown. To a pitching carrier deck. Pretty sure DCAs Helo back ground has found him behind little boats in big seas in bad weather as well. How much real line and/or military flying have you done, at all?

And yeah, PAR is not that impressive. Just requires good stick skills, no navigation skills.

B|itch, please.

Yes or no, you've ever actually shot a PAR to mins. Or any PAR. I've done it, I've also flown self contained radar approaches using air-ground mode of the radar. I've also done CATIII's. Any moron can couple up a CatIII.

A PAR requires all your navigation skills, because if the controller is wrong or trying to drive you into the ground, he still goes home. And it does happen. It's a hard approach to fly, and a perishable skill for the controller. In the mountains at night, it's terrifying. 99% of all PARs I've ever flown, were day VFR for controller proficiency so that when I did need him/her they'd be ready. Your generalization though of how a PAR is flown proves you actually don't know what you're talking about.

Programming the XYZ arrival to a CATIII ILS and letting Otto fly, then disengaging on the roll out? You're kidding right. Granted the FMS can be a challenge to the uninitiated... For about 25 hours.

Last edited:
And the real skill of a PAR is in the controller giving it. There's plenty more to brag about, not a PAR.
as opposed to doing a PAR in Milan,Italy in 1970 in a P-3 with an Italian controller, at about 500' the controller says "You a doina reala gooda, don'ta toucha nothing" Was I supposed to let go of the controls? We all thought that was funny My apologies to any Italians on this site, just trying to give it realism of the time.

Last edited:
The most qualified of pilots, in my book, is the pilot with the best attitude. Regardless of background. Military, civilian......it doesn't matter. The entire point is the experience got you THROUGH the door at the major. From that point on, its their way. A pilot with a good attitude knows this, and adapts to it- putting forth the effort.

I will say that in my class of 15, at a major, approximately 1/3 were military. Every single pilot with the military background had also been sitting right seat at a regional airline, and had some 121 regional/commuter experience.

Yes or no, you've ever actually shot a PAR to mins. Or any PAR.

Flown hundreds if not thousands under contract for controller proficiency training in all WX. Doing the math, I've given several thousand over my years in the military.

A PAR requires all your navigation skills

No it doesn't. One of the original selling points was that you didn't need lots additional equipment either on the ground or in the air. Most, not all, but most of the places I worked, there was no backup NAVAID. It was us or nothing. USAF got smart and started putting in ILS installations, took many years for Navy/Marine Corps to catch up.

Granted the FMS can be a challenge to the uninitiated... For about 25 hours.

Really? FMS issues are a constant source of problem in the airlines composed of both military and civilian aviators. "What's it doing now." Saying happens to more than someone with 25 hrs of FMS time.

We're you a nav/RIO/GIB/air crew or pilot in the mil?

The most qualified of pilots, in my book, is the pilot with the best attitude. Regardless of background. Military, civilian......it doesn't matter. The entire point is the experience got you THROUGH the door at the major. From that point on, its their way. A pilot with a good attitude knows this, and adapts to it- putting forth the effort.

I will say that in my class of 15, at a major, approximately 1/3 were military. Every single pilot with the military background had also been sitting right seat at a regional airline, and had some 121 regional/commuter experience.

Second that. It matters not where you came from or what you did there. Welcome to the seniority system, right, wrong or indifferent.

At the end of the day, it will likely never matter if you cut your teeth busting bunkers in the desert in an F-whatever, or flying at some bottom feeding crap-bag regional.

You fly a well-designed (mostly), purpose built aircraft managed by a very sophisticated safety net. Mistakes happen, but rarely are they dangerous - as evidenced by the raft of knuckleheads I've encountered flying over the years who still tread the earth.

Respect your peers and their experience. You may be surprised what you'll learn from them regardless of their backgrounds.

Only from experience, I have never had a training problem with a IFR rated militarty pilot. Even a 1000 hour military pilot has a consistent training success record. I do not see this with all civilian piltos. Now I will add when we were hiring furlouged major pilots, furloughed ABX pilots, these guys when through with no problems. If you came from a solid training background 121, or military it shows. There is a very wide variety of skill found in the 91/135 world.

I already told you guys. Its because they all have four year college degree's, nowadays. From colleges'..

Flown hundreds if not thousands under contract for controller proficiency training in all WX. Doing the math, I've given several thousand over my years in the military.

No it doesn't. One of the original selling points was that you didn't need lots additional equipment either on the ground or in the air. Most, not all, but most of the places I worked, there was no backup NAVAID. It was us or nothing. USAF got smart and started putting in ILS installations, took many years for Navy/Marine Corps to catch up.

Really? FMS issues are a constant source of problem in the airlines composed of both military and civilian aviators. "What's it doing now." Saying happens to more than someone with 25 hrs of FMS time.

We're you a nav/RIO/GIB/air crew or pilot in the mil?

Navy still hasn't caught up. Hornet doesn't have a civilian ILS, nor is there an ILS at any Navy field I've ever landed at. Training command jets had an ILS but we would have to go to civil fields to use them. NTU has an ILS but it's the boat variety which works different from civil fields. In a pinch you could "manufacture" an ILS with the radar, but it was just enough to give you a shot at landing depending on where you break out, nothing you'd do on a regular basis in low wx.

If you weren't backing up navigation controllers were giving you, especially during vectors to final, you haven't had a controller try and drive you into the mountains.

Last edited:
The most qualified of pilots, in my book, is the pilot with the best attitude. Regardless of background. Military, civilian......it doesn't matter.

Agreed, multiplied by eleventy!

[\thread]

Latest resources

Back