• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Mesa

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've been hearing "Quick Upgrade" at Mesa. How long is a quick upgrade? (To thwart the useless replies of some, I understand that we can only predict with the information we have at hand and if something changes it's anybody's guess....who would have predicted the outcome of the superbowl?)

Was in a Mesa Jumpseat and the fo was at 6 years at not able to hold an upgrade for what its worth.

For what its worth, you currently need about 7 years for upgrade. I think the predicted quick upgrades are due to the fact that Mesa has recently announced additional airplanes to nearly doubles its fleet size over the next couple of years. Those quick upgrades have not happened yet - as the new planes arrive, the longevity required will quickly drop. Bear in mind that just a year ago, the bottom FO on property was nearly at 6 years with the company.

Nine 900s have been delivered so far. 30 EMB175s coming, and 4 more 900s confirmed yesterday. Additional rumor (with some evidence that lends merit) for yet another 10 900s that have not been announced. That would take the total growth announced within the last year to either 43 or 53 (depending on whether the latest rumor for 10 more is realized) - nearly doubling Mesa's fleet size from what it was a year ago.

Last edited:
which would create massively quick upgrade for those who jump laterally --- i.e. a Skyw FO with a 9 year upgrade trajectory could be a captain within 9 months at Mesa. That will probably fix any pilot shortage.

which would create massively quick upgrade for those who jump laterally --- i.e. a Skyw FO with a 9 year upgrade trajectory could be a captain within 9 months at Mesa. That will probably fix any pilot shortage.

Doubt it would go that quickly. Keep in mind that these airplanes will come online over a period of time, not all at once. There will still be at least 300 pilots eligible for upgrade before anyone that is hired today.

SkyWest upgrade isn't up to 9 years, is it? I thought it was a lot quicker than that.

For what its worth, you currently need about 7 years for upgrade. I think the predicted quick upgrades are due to the fact that Mesa has recently announced additional airplanes to nearly doubles its fleet size over the next couple of years. Those quick upgrades have not happened yet - as the new planes arrive, the longevity required will quickly drop. Bear in mind that just a year ago, the bottom FO on property was nearly at 6 years with the company.

Nine 900s have been delivered so far. 30 EMB175s coming, and 4 more 900s confirmed yesterday. Additional rumor (with some evidence that lends merit) for yet another 10 900s that have not been announced. That would take the total growth announced within the last year to either 43 or 53 (depending on whether the latest rumor for 10 more is realized) - nearly doubling Mesa's fleet size from what it was a year ago.

175s for Usair?

It's the new business model for regional feed. Have one regional partner to do the majority of flying. Then, have a token amount done by a bargain carrier just to keep the first in cost-check.

My speculation is this won't work for long as the "bargain" carriers won't have the pilots to compete.

Can you think of a better way to put cost preasure on SKW.... Just have Mesa through in a bid... They (Mesa) are behind on there E175 program. How would they get 200's back up and running again...

Why do you think Mesa is behind on the E 175 program?
Mesa already operates 200's.

Mesa will add 10 - additional CRJ 900's from May thru December of this year.

Latest resources

Back