• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Beech Balls

Frmr Purple Porpoise Drvr
Just imagine for a moment.

5.5-6 yr FO, early 30s, at SWA.
Still in the bottom 10% (believe it or not.)

Upgrade is a total of 20-21 years.

Morale is getting stinky here.
We've bungled Hawaii, Class 2 nav, our route structure, we're late.
Our CEO is more focused on saving money than growth.
Contract neg. are going nowhere.

Work rules are ok, pay is good.

Given the massive retirements coming, would you consider leaving for AA or Delta??

Why or why not?
Discuss.....

Given the massive retirements coming, would you consider leaving for AA or Delta??

Why or why not?
Discuss.....

American! Lots of retirements, widebody flying, more variety and pay going way up. I can't imagine doing the same style of flying for 20+ years. That's just me. Good luck! Oh and between AA or DAL, I'd pick the one with base I could live at or commute to the easiest. Note that US Air has the best Jumpseat policy in the industry in that u can reserve the Jumpseat...hopefully this carries over to AA.

Last edited:
Don't do it. Seniority is everything. Unless another airline has a base you want or already live in, you'll be just chasing your tail. Things are constantly changing, and so it will be at southwest or xyz airline. Enjoy your good fortune!

Don't do it. Seniority is everything. Unless another airline has a base you want or already live in, you'll be just chasing your tail. Things are constantly changing, and so it will be at southwest or xyz airline. Enjoy your good fortune!

Actually I take back what I said. I missed that u have been there 6 years. If I was in your situation, I'd move to my base. Can't go wrong with that. I'd only switch carriers if the commute is unbearable and u could live in base at one of the legacies.

Too many unknowns in the world. Right now you have a sure thing. I had friends at AA who said they will never upgrade. You could go to AA or DAL then what if Israel has enough of the politics/ lies and bombs the Iranain nuke facilites. Fuel goes to 180 overnight. Your on the street. Everything comes and goes in waves. Almost all majors are doing well now (thanks to bankruptcy) but look back at the billions lost in the last two decades.
If your really that upset about not going to Hawaii or doing class two nav then you should risk it. I just wannt good pay, days off and flexibility.

I'd apply to AA right now and leverage your contacts. Big # of retirements approaching. Hiring into the Airbus in DFW (junior bid) and you could possibly bid the 787 in 5 years after they start arriving in bulk in a year or so. Pay at all legacies is comparable to SWA and improving.

Why not throw your hat in the ring and see how it goes?

I've seen or known many more people over the years who have gotten bitten in the ass chasing the greener grass than I have who've improved their lot in life by doing so.

Why or why not?
Discuss.....
If that's the real age of the pilot in question, stay at SWA.

Morale is great where in this industry?
Bungled, but not lost money, big difference.
Saving money is not all bad, reference every legacy playing the other side of the coin.
Contract negotiations are always slow at SWA, last one Five years, this one is nothing new. Chilax.

The upgrade timeline is an aberration right now and will reduce back to 10 or so years in the next eight or so years.

If you where in the 30-40 age range, then jump ship. Above 50, stay and enjoy the ride.

If that's the real age of the pilot in question, stay at SWA.

Morale is great where in this industry?
Bungled, but not lost money, big difference.
Saving money is not all bad, reference every legacy playing the other side of the coin.
Contract negotiations are always slow at SWA, last one Five years, this one is nothing new. Chilax.

The upgrade timeline is an aberration right now and will reduce back to 10 or so years in the next eight or so years.

If you where in the 30-40 age range, then jump ship. Above 50, stay and enjoy the ride.

Sweet!, in 8 years, the upgrade time will be 10 years? Well, I guess 18 years is better than 20........

Latest resources

Back