Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Does anyone know what the UAL min reqs will be?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you are going to start the ridiculous Military vs. civil debate you should consider this.......
Back in the 90's Delta went through a rash of accidents and incidents far greater than any other airline. They had numerous incidents of landing on the wrong airport, a L1011 lost an engine and the crew shut down the wrong engine and came within a 150" of the Pacific Ocean, they had another L1011 fly into a thunderstorm on landing and crash, and the list is longer than that.
Because they had so many more problems than other airlines they were very closely scrutinized by the FAA. Their official conclusion was the reason they had so many incidents was due to the fact that DAL had hired so many pilots with a single pilot only background and they were lacking in multiple crewmember ops.
After extensive observation it was noted that they had poor crew coordination and this is what led to the numerous operational problems. The fix was extensive CRM training for the DAL pilots.
In other words guys, too many fighter pilots who weren't working well as a crew.
Now before you go nuts on me, military pilots are just as good as high time civilian pilots, the high time RJ pilots generally have outstanding instrument flying skills that are the best in business, the ex military pilots are generally very quick learners with great technology skills. I've flown with 1000's of pilots over the years and one is not better than the other. Once you get with an airline, there really is no difference relative to background. I've seen ex fighter pilots that are as good as it gets and the same for ex civilian pilots. What does make a difference is attitude. The cocky ones who think they come from a superior background ironically enough generally turn out to be the weak ones, whether that be civil or military.

Last edited:
I think its funny that having 1500 hours of Military trainer/jet/Prop would be more desirable than that of an airline pilot that has been flying passengers for 10-15 years.

Actually, they have a valid point. There are some legacy airlines (that will go unnamed), who truly believe that the more hours a pilot has (especially at or above 10k), and when they've been a CA that long, that they will be un-moldable as a newhire FO at the said legacy. Something about being already set in your ways, and teaching new tricks to old die-hard dogs.

After some experience with the CRM training, it was generally agreed that those who took it to heart were those who didn't need it in the first place, and those who lacked such skills wouldn't learn them in a hundred years of classes. :rolleyes:

After some experience with the CRM training, it was generally agreed that those who took it to heart were those who didn't need it in the first place, and those who lacked such skills wouldn't learn them in a hundred years of classes. :rolleyes:

That seems to pretty universal in this business. The one's who have the rep for the worst CRM are the ones who protest CRM training the most. Kind of like the guys who think their background makes them superior to other pilots are often the weakest pilots.

I heard it was going to be 350hrs and a Commercial License with instrument rating for civilian trained white males who wear glasses and have so-so college grades because they have been discriminated against for so long..

I heard it was going to be 350hrs and a Commercial License with instrument rating for civilian trained white males who wear glasses and have so-so college grades because they have been discriminated against for so long..

..... ha!

Last edited:
..... ha!

It doesn't seem so far fetched. After all, it would benefit those who weren't directly affected during the last hiring cycle. AND, after years of no hiring at the majors, there are probably oodles of highly qualified minorities that they could choose from; minorities whose experience far exceeds the experience of those hired in the sixties and even most of those hired in the 80s & 90s.

I think it's high time for a high time minority pilot with a clean record to feel the pain. What goes around should come around.

It doesn't seem so far fetched. After all, it would benefit those who weren't directly affected during the last hiring cycle. AND, after years of no hiring at the majors, there are probably oodles of highly qualified minorities that they could choose from; minorities whose experience far exceeds the experience of those hired in the sixties and even most of those hired in the 80s & 90s.

I think it's high time for a high time minority pilot with a clean record to feel the pain. What goes around should come around.

ahhhh, the 'ol, "The only reason I didn't get hired was because a lesser qualified minority was hired" excuse. Have fun living your life rationalizing why you continually fail. It IS the american way.

Latest resources

Back