• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US Airways fuel hedges

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hedge at a high level and the economy collapses again (which it will) oil prices will drop again. Usair calls it their natural economic hedge.

We have the ultimate hedge, it's called stupid EAST pilots who get paid regional wages and drag down the rest of the industry. It's a huge cost advantage.

We have the ultimate hedge, it's called stupid EAST pilots who get paid regional wages and drag down the rest of the industry. It's a huge cost advantage.

Sorry I couldn't make it a US Air thread without an East West bashing.

Hedge at a high level and the economy collapses again (which it will) oil prices will drop again. Usair calls it their natural economic hedge.

I deleted my snarky response to your post; it's obvious that you don't know what you're talking about.
Post the current NYMEX oil futures prices for 2014 to 2020. Use the Google on the internet machine.

I deleted my snarky response to your post; it's obvious that you don't know what you're talking about.
Post the current NYMEX oil futures prices for 2014 to 2020. Use the Google on the internet machine.

If you are trying to make a point...make it. Oil futures price is not what you pay if you aren't hedged...this is what we are talking about.

Andy is a total barracks lawyer, still waiting for the financial meltdown and the end of the world as we know....that was about 3 yrs ago as well. He might have nice beachfront property in TN, but I would stay away from any of his financial.advice/claims/knowledge.

If you are trying to make a point...make it. Oil futures price is not what you pay if you aren't hedged...this is what we are talking about.

Wow. Oil futures are the hedging instrument, much like insurance. Do you understand the purpose of a financial hedge?

Last edited:
Andy is a total barracks lawyer, still waiting for the financial meltdown and the end of the world as we know....that was about 3 yrs ago as well. He might have nice beachfront property in TN, but I would stay away from any of his financial.advice/claims/knowledge.

The meltdown occurred. The last 3 years have been a slow downward grind in the economy. I've been renting a house, watching prices drop monthly. While they continue to grind lower, I'm starting to look to buy some rental properties. I plan on buying at least two properties this year.
Since you're using me as a contrary indicator, you'll want to immediately sell your house and start renting.

Of course I do. You still haven't made a point.

OK, I'll break out the crayolas.
Airlines need to run active hedging programs in order to minimize the risk of oil shocks since fuel is the number one expense for airlines. That would have meant doing quite a bit of hedging Aug through Oct last year when oil prices were below $90/barrel.

OK, I'll break out the crayolas.
Airlines need to run active hedging programs in order to minimize the risk of oil shocks since fuel is the number one expense for airlines. That would have meant doing quite a bit of hedging Aug through Oct last year when oil prices were below $90/barrel.

The cost of those hedges negates much of the price rise protection they gained, and exposes them to losses if the economy had gotten worse (which, as I said...it will, but how soon is the question).

US determined it was actually more risky to hedge in this environment than not hedge.

Latest resources

Back