• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CitationAir How Much Longer

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
...let's hear more opinions why the fractional model didn't work for Citationair.

I think you have to have your fleet mix right.

Generally, the crew costs per airframe is the same for all types ... but the revenues are not. Larger faster planes bring in more revenues per crewmember.

I think CS needed a fleet mix heavy on the X.

Whether that can be sold or not ... I don't know.

My point is, again, is that pro union posters don't have to fear reprisals. Anti union posters do. So you are really brave, knowing you DON"T have to worry about people defecating in your luggage or poisoning your dog or being hostile in the cockpit or leaving threatening messages on the phone. I DO have to worry about such things, because your side behaves like a spiteful 13 year old, with scab lists and such.

I don't agree with most of your posts, but on this point you are spot on.

I just have to ask - are you surprised?

Pilots who cross a picket line are rewarding themselves at the expense of the group. When and if the time comes that you have to decide to scab you have to do what you think is right.

But your living in fantasy land if you can expect to screw the rest of your pilot group and not suffer any consequences. Please don't take this as a threat. It's just a lesson in history. Paint it any way you want, but that's how it is.

So what exactly has changed for CA since the union was voted in? Be specific please.

Thats easy, with a Union comes increased costs to the company. Cessna simply said "so long, thanks for playing". Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out.

What was it B19 used to say, "Be careful what you wish for".

Thats easy, with a Union comes increased costs to the company. Cessna simply said "so long, thanks for playing". Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out.

What was it B19 used to say, "Be careful what you wish for".

I'm sorry, you must have missed the fine print where I asked for specifics. Try reading a bit slower next time.

Can't believe this has turned into an irrelevant "pro/con union" thread...let's hear more opinions why the fractional model didn't work for Citationair.

It usually does.

My guess, about 15%-20% of pilots don't like unions, (why we're underground, i don't know). However most of us know the union is not going anywhere, it is part of the job, so we accept it and we learn to live with it..

But you have those few who really don't like unions, and they like to tell you all about it.... Then the hard-core union guys go after them, they call'em names, and start this bull$**t game of "let's find out who he is".

and round and round we go

It usually does.

My guess, about 15%-20% of pilots don't like unions, (why we're underground, i don't know). However most of us know the union is not going anywhere, it is part of the job, so we accept it and we learn to live with it..

But you have those few who really don't like unions, and they like to tell you all about it.... Then the hard-core union guys go after them, they call'em names, and start this bull$**t game of "let's find out who he is".

and round and round we go

Good post and probably reflects the views of a higher percentage of people than what you indicated.

The union did not cause management to shut down the Cessna frac business. People who believe this, pro or anti union, do not have a clue. Sorry to say it, but the company probably did the right thing because the frac model simply doesn't work except in a period of high new owner sales. The actual operation of the a/c loses money and profits have to come from share sales or other sources.

Textron has dealt with unions for decades and a few pilots joining a union isn't going to sway them one way or another...it is merely a pimple on an elephant's butt as far as they're concerned. Can't recall a company that went out of business at the point the unions came. Many have gone under afterwards because the costs of dealing with a union are meaningful.

There was a change of CEO's at Cessna last year and the company is dying a slow death because sales levels have crumbled. Textron wants out of the private a/c business because they are tired of subsidizing it. This is just one step in a much bigger and longer term strategy.

Good post and probably reflects the views of a higher percentage of people than what you indicated.

I've flown with so many guys that tell me straight up " I don't like unions", then you go to public forums like this one, and they're nowhere to be found, its always the same 2 or 3 posting anti-union stuff. I think most just try to avoid union arguments

as for the predicament that Citation Air is in, union or no union, I don't think it would've made a difference

The union did not cause management to shut down the Cessna frac business. People who believe this, pro or anti union, do not have a clue.

Textron has dealt with unions for decades and a few pilots joining a union isn't going to sway them one way or another...it is merely a pimple on an elephant's butt as far as they're concerned. Can't recall a company that went out of business at the point the unions came. Many have gone under afterwards because the costs of dealing with a union are meaningful.

There was a change of CEO's at Cessna last year and the company is dying a slow death because sales levels have crumbled. Textron wants out of the private a/c business because they are tired of subsidizing it. This is just one step in a much bigger and longer term strategy.

I've flown with so many guys that tell me straight up " I don't like unions", then you go to public forums like this one, and they're nowhere to be found, its always the same 2 or 3 posting anti-union stuff. I think most just try to avoid union arguments

as for the predicament that Citation Air is in, union or no union, I don't think it would've made a difference
Good posts, however if you post union reality, you are considered anti-union and will attacked by the pro union activists as some form of sub human life. (read SCAB) There is only one way to post and not receive that response and that is to be 100% pro-union and 100% anti-management.

Last edited:
Is your union not working on a severance package for the soon to be furloughed pilots? At NJA the furloughed pilots got an additional two months of full pay and benefits after the furlough date. There's no way we would have gotten that much had we been non-union. Also, if you decide to move on to an airline, you may have a tough time if you're not ready to accept unionization as a part of the profession.

Aaaaa wrong history here, citationair furloughed 3 years ago, we got 3 months full pay, cobra paid insurance for the same time frame and set up for unemployment by the company.....no union no talk of union only terrible awful management.....let's see how well the union negotiates an LOA this time....me I'd rather talk it out with my manager and make a deal..but I'm crazy I believe in self reliance and free will and antiquated stuff like that!

Latest resources

Back