• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran MEC voted no

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Once again this is not just me! However if you are willing to wait be my guest I will retire in 30 years then its all yours.

I understand that it's not just you. However, making such a ridiculous statement and call it "just business", is well, ridiculous. You're better off saying: "No matter what the arbitrated result, we're gonna pull a USAir on 'ya and keep it in the courts forever".

Work for you?

Hate to break the bad news to the SWAPA gang, but it is likely that the arbitrator will place the #1 Airtran pilot at #3 or #4 on the MSL and then continue the ratio on down from there. Oh yes, there will be a lot of fence language and restrictions on the list, but essentially that's how things are going down in arbitration these days.

The comments on the SWALife page are quite entertaining today, an outstanding collection of whining, rage, and frustrated venting. Good stuff. :)

I'm an outsider looking in and and all I (we) can say is WOW! IT is a crazy mix of emotions watching a group pissing away their future.

I read all this talk about "seniority is everything/forever"....time to get another paper route, cause it ain't. Not in a merger. You need to keep the job first. What will your better seniority get you after arbitration? More 18 day reserve lines (compared to SW 15 day lines)? Bidding against the same pilots in the same bases as you are now, at 50% of the pay?

"717s" only around for 9 years? Ya, that was when they would be paying 737 rates on them, not anymore. Try 12 years+.

Where will the new hires go? the 737 fleet or the 717 fleet? My guess is the 737 fleet with few bids for the 737. Good thing you will be senior to the new hire MDW 737 pilots while your in ATL flying the 717. How many Xmas' will you get off in that scenario? How long are the AT guys going to be stuck in the 717 at 717 pay?

"Seniority is forever"....know what else is forever? The time value of money. $150-$200 PER DAY EVERY DAY this thing doesn't get done....and possibly after it is done too since you can kiss the 737 pay for the 717 away.

Do you AT guys have any idea how many trips you could of dropped at SW and still made a 50% pay raise? There are tons of OT w************************* at SW that would take all your junior trips. You could of worked 10 days a month and still had a 25k a year pay increase. How is that for family life? How long will SW keep scheduling 18 and 19 day months for the 717 guys since they seem so happy flying them?

Point is your "senority" at AT bought you crap. Crappy work rules, crappy schedules, and crappy bases. The bottom SWA guy bidding options are better than 50% of the AT guys.

Epic Fail.

Last edited:
Hate to break the bad news to the SWAPA gang, but it is likely that the arbitrator will place the #1 Airtran pilot at #3 or #4 on the MSL and then continue the ratio on down from there. Oh yes, there will be a lot of fence language and restrictions on the list, but essentially that's how things are going down in arbitration these days.

What kind of fences and restrictions from arbitration do you think is available? The only fence that might possibly come from this is on the 717, because it's a different type. There will be no base fences from arby.

Do you really think the most senior SW captains in Dallas that are pre-1990 hires are going to roll over for a integration with a 1993 AAI captain being ratioed in with them? No way. Not at this airline.

RF

Oh quit dreaming, it is out of the question. AAI had two things going for it, a huge presence at one of the worlds busiest airports and competition with Southwest. Alaska has neither, move along and hope for American, you have nothing to offer.

Hope for American..? Out of touch aren't we..? At this point I'm just happy to sit back and watch the show. :cool:

What kind of fences and restrictions from arbitration do you think is available? The only fence that might possibly come from this is on the 717, because it's a different type. There will be no base fences from arby.

Do you really think the most senior SW captains in Dallas that are pre-1990 hires are going to roll over for a integration with a 1993 AAI captain being ratioed in with them? No way. Not at this airline.

RF

Just read the SWAPA memo to the pilot group. I couldnt slam that much kool aid back in my frat days! With an answer to your question about "rolling over" for senority.......The arby will help them roll over if thats what is decided. The beauty of the arby is that neither group has a choice in "rolling over" or not. But on a lighter note...I look forward to pulling your gear for you in 2035.

RF

Dude, you are Wal-Mart...you bought K-Mart.

We've all paid our dues pal.... I could have gone to ATN in 2003. Instead I stayed at a regional making sub standard wages, living paycheck to paycheck raising a family in the Northeast... Making sacrifices to build the PIC time to be competitive to be hired at SWA.

Simply put - how many Airtran Pilots had applied to Southwest?? Why??

Last question: what would you have done after your 97% strike vote??

6000 pilots at SWA were happy to be put at the BOTTOM of the seniority list the day they got hired. We were all thankful to be number last. We told Gary during our new hire breakfast how happy each and every one of us were to be here... Your pilot group just told Gary to kiss off. That you're not happy to be here... That keeping every captain (even those that upgraded two months ago) in his/her seat was not good enough.. In this economy, you have told Gary your not happy to be part of the SWA family... All I can day at this point is good luck... I have friends at ATN and I really hope you all still get to make it here!

We didn't tell Mr. Kelly anything. We have yet to vote on anything. We will be outstanding employees of SWA and do the best job that we can do. We did not choose this path, it was handed to us just as it was to you. We are simply trying to maintain the QOL that we had before this deal was consummated. We don't expect your QOL to change either. We don't expect you to give anything up. We did not decide to grow Southwest by buying another airline, Mr. Kelly did that. We realize that it change the upgrade times for your FO's just as it does for ours. We realize that we will benefit from your CBA. We would be open to a REASONABLE agreement. EVERYONE'S path has changed because of this. We are pilots just like you and look forward to making this work. Let's let the process that WE ALL agreed to run it's course.

Latest resources

Back