Will SWA and AT truly merge?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey JonJuan,

What part of windfall do you not get? Kinda like the Airtran guys that were high fiving each other in the LGA terminal the morning of the acquisition announcement.

Roman,

I picked Mesa and Airtran because the pay differences and pilot longevity are similar to the AAI/SW deal. Pretty much apples to apples. But no one would touch it..funny.

General,

I appreciate your fairly rational post, I say that honestly. I do agree that it could be a great airline but I have a couple of questions for you. Beyond a 5 percent pay bump for the DL pilots, how much stock did the DL side get? Was it based on seniority or split evenly? I haven't heard many people discuss that angle and thought you might know.

Your right about Gary running the COMPANY merger. So far it hasn't gotten too involved lately with the SLI. Your a little off base as far as how SWAPA will be involved. SWAPA has the full power to negotiate the transition agreement, so they do hold the reins on that. There will be no JCBA like the DL merger. As a matter of fact, this acquisition is nothing like the DL/NW merger and for people to say differently are really lacking in the facts.

RF

I'm worried that he is representative of the AT pilots or their union leadership.

If so, rough times are ahead. Imagine 1700 pilots who can't be happy after a 50% raise!

Or, 4,000 pilots that can't be happy adding ATL, international flights, etc.
without having to lose any pay, or upgrade potential.

Kwick,

Talking about ATL. With 40% living in ATL, were does the rest of the transters commute from. Do they come from all over? Do a lot of the pilots live on the east coast?

Am I the only one that think this "Ty Webb" is not going to be happy working for Southwest?

I don't think you're worried about that at all. What you're worried about is that you're not going to be happy after the merger. Ty will be fine, and I suspect you will be, too, if you stop worrying about everyone else and just worry about yourself.

Can we please get over the "we bring ATL" argument? It's horrible.

ATL has ~200+ flights per day for AT.

PHX, LAS, MDW have about the same for SWA.

So everytime an AT pilot says "We" bring ATL, should a SWA guy say "We" bring PHX? OR MDW? Or LAS? Or DEN? Or HOU? Or the possibility of -800's to HNL and OGG? Etc...???

It's just one city.

And as I've stated previously, we the pilots of either company do not "bring" any thing to the SLI other than CBA's and a our respective seniority lists. Not cities, Int'l flying, aircraft, hats, flight bags, etc. CBA's and lists are all we have to offer one another as pilot groups. Period.

Last edited:
I don't think you're worried about that at all. What you're worried about is that you're not going to be happy after the merger. Ty will be fine, and I suspect you will be, too, if you stop worrying about everyone else and just worry about yourself.

Ty,

Whats the worst that can happen to me? Relative seniority.(won't happen) What am I losing?

What is the worst that can happen to you? Staple. (won't happen) What are you likely to lose? Somewhere in the middle.

The middle is where I gain and you lose SENIORITY.

Your welcome for the huge quality of life increase I have spent a good amount of time earning for you. And I thank you for the increase seniority you will be giving to all my SWA brothers and sisters. That is what a win/win situation is all about.

Together we are going to kick some serious booty in this crappy airline business. And we both gain because of our efforts.

So why am I worried......?

I think you just made my point for me. . . . . . And the rest of your post is consists of doing exactly what our unions have asked us NOT to do.

TW

Last edited:
The middle is where I gain and you lose SENIORITY.

Some seem to think that the only way they can get ahead is if someone else loses.

The improvement in pay for Airtran pilots will not be at the expense of a single SWA pilot. A loss of seniority will most certainly be at the expense of the Airtran pilots.

I wonder which option an arbitrator will consider to be "fair and equitable"

Some seem to think that the only way they can get ahead is if someone else loses.

The improvement in pay for Airtran pilots will not be at the expense of a single SWA pilot. A loss of seniority will most certainly be at the expense of the Airtran pilots.

I wonder which option an arbitrator will consider to be "fair and equitable"

I don't know, but I have a feeling we're going to find out. Good luck fellas!

I think you just made my point for me. . . . . . And the rest of your post is consists of doing exactly what our unions have asked us NOT to do.

TW

You are really a weird dude......

You have engaged with this more than most, if not all, others on this topic.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back