• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Will SWA and AT truly merge?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
OK, Chief.. . . . Let me spell it out for you. AirTran pilots also have a contract . . . . and that contract is binding on anyone who merges with us, or buys 51%.

Number two- Smart SWA pilots understand the faster AirTran pilots are on the SWA contract, the better it will be for both parties. Otherwise, where do you think the growth will be- the cheaper operator with options on 25 more 717 for pennies on the dollar, or the domestic-only airline with the higher CASM?

Hmmmm . . . . Geee . . . . . I wonder. :laugh:

Which is why we put the ratio clause in SL6. If AT grows so do we. Did you really think we didn't consider that?

I'll admit it is a rumor, but along with that I've seen the SWA training department crank out 80+ a month.

I'll admit it is a rumor, but along with that I've seen the SWA training department crank out 80+ a month.

Yeah, because they are already typed in the 737. I'm sure they could pump out more than that if needed.

OK, Chief.. . . . Let me spell it out for you. AirTran pilots also have a contract . . . . and that contract is binding on anyone who merges with us, or buys 51%.
And in your contract does it state that if sold AT can not be operated separately? I will bet that SWA does not care much about your contract.

Number two- Smarter pilots than yourself already understand that the faster AirTran pilots are on the SWA contract, the better it will be for both parties.
And less emotional pilots know that there are an infinite of variables that depends on what is better for each party. And you make my point that YOU, the Airtan pilots, better know where you are in the food chain. You don't have the control the SWA pilots have. Blame your current leadership for this one.

Otherwise, where do you think the growth will be- the cheaper operator who has options on 25 more 717's available for pennies on the dollar,
So you are certain that SWA wants those options. And you think you are smarter than me?

or the domestic-only airline with the higher CASM that requires purchases of additional 737 to expand?
And whose CASM will be the same after the purchase of your airline. Airtran will acquire SWA costs. And who says that SWA requires only one type of aircraft? Show me please.

You miss the point that Airtran is now vulnerable in this transaction. It would be in Airtrans beat interest that seniority issues be met with the reality of the situation. Which you have proven, may not.

Best of luck to all the Airtran pilots.

Airtran pilots ask yourself, Why did SWA choose to spend billions of dollars to acquire the airline, verses a much less expensive merger?

SWA management historically have made the best, industry changing decisions in the past 20 years. Why would they be different now?

Of course it could be. Why? Because you lack experience in the airline world. And because your one of the biggest tools on this web board. You're the exception to the rule at southwest.

YOWZA! Looks like I hit a nerve.

I'm sorry. I'm sorry you don't have a sense of humor.

Gup

Southwest pilots, my fellow AirTran pilots. As a pilot wisely pointed out on our internal message board, what good does this bickering do on an anonymous message board? We are possibly only hurting ourselves "if" this goes to arbitration. Let the trolls, haters, wannabes and flame baiters find some other use for their time. As for us, we gotta keep it real if we are going to work together!

Last edited:
Airtran pilots ask yourself, Why did SWA choose to spend billions of dollars to acquire the airline, verses a much less expensive merger?

SWA management historically have made the best, industry changing decisions in the past 20 years. Why would they be different now?

I should know better than to get involved in this discussion but no one ever accused me of being the sharpest tool in the drawer.

What would be the advantage to buying an airline with another fleet type, keep the new fleet type but get rid of all the pilots that are already trained to fly those airplanes?

Kelly has already said Southwest is going to keep the 717s at least until the leases start to run out in 2017. Why keep the airplanes but get rid of the pilots who are already qualified to fly them? I am not going to get into SLI stuff, but it would seem to me, and admittedly this could be wishful thinking, that the sooner both groups have one list and one contract the sooner we can all start pulling together as one team the better it is for all Southwest employees, passengers and shareholders.

I will now return to my fantasy world full of puppy dogs, rainbows and rivers of beer.

Latest resources

Back