• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA 747-200 FE Workload...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Being an FE is absolutely the worst "flying job" out there. Not only do you bow down to the Captain (as normal), but there is a cocky FO who also wants special treatment. A three man crew FO is the laziest pilot on the planet. (and probably the best "flying job" you can get) Expect to be degraded and over worked, but if it is the only way to get the job at a Legacy, then I would do it (again--I was a 727FE for 6 months and hated every single minute of it---the 747 panel is probably a bit more advanced, but it also is a lot larger and probably more to do). Have fun.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Translation: if the FO is anything like the General you'll hate it.

Wow, you're cool..... And you are again? You'll be a NWA FO in how many years? You might not be the most popular group with these NWA guys, since you are Compass, right? They could be your Captains on the E175 if they park a lot of DC9s at NWA. Be nice to them.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
"There's no money in freight"....

- Illustriuous NWA Executive

Nu

THat was uttered in 1995 by the spectacularly inept Bill Slattery...then a VP.

Since then we bought 3 more freighters and ARMAR'd the rest.

Our BOD member reports a lot of discussion on a/c options. Since a lot of our route authority is "cargo specific", there is no discussion of abandoning freight.

Being an FE is absolutely the worst "flying job" out there. Not only do you bow down to the Captain (as normal), but there is a cocky FO who also wants special treatment. A three man crew FO is the laziest pilot on the planet. (and probably the best "flying job" you can get) Expect to be degraded and over worked, but if it is the only way to get the job at a Legacy, then I would do it (again--I was a 727FE for 6 months and hated every single minute of it---the 747 panel is probably a bit more advanced, but it also is a lot larger and probably more to do). Have fun.

Bye Bye--General Lee

You're a class act.

You're a class act.

Sorry, just telling it like it is. I did it, and it was one of the worst jobs I have ever had. A window seat is ten time better. But, if it will get you to where you want to be eventually, you should probably do it. If you are stuck on that seat for a long time, plan to be miserable. The truth hurts. If I had the choice between 747SO and Diesel-9 FO, I would pick the DC-9.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:

Bye Bye--General Lee

window heat
pitot heat
what's to eat?

Little U Big U!
Protect Essential!

I did 8 months on the panel of a 727, definitely a thankless job but it did have interesting moments. When it starts to get stressful, just look at it this way. Captain Kirk may have commanded the Enterprise, but it wouldn't go anywhere without Scotty RUNNING it.

Latest resources

Back