• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Career progression at Delta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Take it easy there Lumberg. I didn't say it would happen I said I'd bet it would happen. I can't factor an economic downturn into what I'm looking at because I don't know if or when one will happen. If you have that info I'm sure you would be better off working on Wall Street than at Delta. Just because you weren't able to upgrade in under a decade doesn't mean guys getting hired right now won't. Getting hired during the beginning of a hiring wave has almost always led to the fastest upgrade times. I'll still bet we'll see upgrades in NYC go very junior in 2009. You may be right, but we'll just have to wait until 09 so we'll leave it at that.

I will take your bet......and FYI, I'm not at a decade yet and that has nothing to do with the fact you go on this forum posting grandiose plans and I'm just handing you the BS flag.

People are asking legit questions who maybe have a choice in which airline to go to and you post a steaming pile of false dung........not to intentionally mislead, but it's misleading!!!

I didn't think you guys got longevity for time on furlough at AA? I have a friend that was hired in early 01 and he said he would go back at second year pay.

That's because your friend was on 2nd year pay in 01... I'm guessing stlflyguy was a TWA F/O with 10 years senority who's currently a Captain at Eagle thanks to the flow back.

Supp CC doesn't help my seniority range any more than my $hitty system seniority number. Mainly because the people getting their Captain's seats back still have a lot of time to go.

The longevity is the thing keeping me from pulling the trigger for somewhere else.

stlflyguy

Well, that may be true, but unless you were hired at TWA after 1997 (the Magnus Alehulte trigger man), you still fall under Supp CC and could at least hold a line in STL right upon recall. Or if you don't get an STL slot, you could reinstate to it fairly quickly.

Regarding longevity, APA has always historically negotiated it after everyone was recalled. I think this will be the case once again.

I talked to a Delta Capt. and he said maybe 15 years. As we all know in the next 10 or so there are many unpredictable events that will occur, some good, most not so good. Look at the last 10 or so years in the airlines, most are bad years.

The best bet for a stable future is a different career.

When our economy takes a dive, the dollar does too. That is why it is good to diversify and have more INTL flights, due to the fact that foreigners have more buying power and will fill your flights from Europe etc to the US, and then back. When the dollar is high, more US folks go abroad.

Also, I don't think the FED will allow our economy to really go down the tube. Rate cuts are probably on the way, and things will settle down. Also, when stocks do go down, so do gas prices, which will actually help us out.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Investment/ financial/ economic advice from the General. I've seen it all now.

I talked to a Delta Capt. and he said maybe 15 years. As we all know in the next 10 or so there are many unpredictable events that will occur, some good, most not so good. Look at the last 10 or so years in the airlines, most are bad years.

The best bet for a stable future is a different career.

Great post.........that's TRUE advice....

Anybody got the number to that truck driving school??? Truckmasters, I think it is.......

Investment/ financial/ economic advice from the General. I've seen it all now.

Take it easy on the General....

He told me to put my money on something stable like pets.com in 1999..... TIC

Great post.........that's TRUE advice....

Anybody got the number to that truck driving school??? Truckmasters, I think it is.......

Nov 99 hires will be upgrading here in a few months. More like 8 years right now. That is about as TRUE as you get with the latest AE. With the international growth we have planned, it can only go down and when it goes about 2 more years down it will hit the 07 hires. IF the economy nosedives then that will change things, but IF it doesn't then we will have upgrades that go very junior just like CAL is experiencing. Try not to be so positive there LUMBERG. I don't really see what I've posted as steaming piles of crap. Just throwing out that a Captain says it will be 15 years when it is currently 8 years with lots of growth seems more like a steaming pile of crap to me if someone is trying to make a choice on a career move. It isn't that far from the Nov 99 hires to the 07 hires if you look at the list. And when we bridge that gap upgrade time will jump up by 6 years.

Had a Delta guy on the jumpseat the other day. He said there are only 500 or so above the age of 50. Almost no attrition for 15 years pending age 65. Delta would need a lot of new planes(not replacement) to upgrade anyone hired this year in the next 10 years.

Latest resources

Back