CL-850 Crash Cont.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Surely you cannot be serious.

No, I was not serious....just a little sarcasm. As a fellow Boiler, I would never disgrace our PU brethren with even considering operating in icing conditions without the "love juice" on the wing!

As was said before....."Live to fly another day"!

Isn't a CL-850 a CRJ in exec interior trim? If so, does the CRJ wing share airfoils with a 601/604/604? Both/All are non LE device equipped, right?

Another question, how many corp guys ever get deice specific training? I know I never have in any corporate training program, it's just been some "OJT" with guys I'm flying with, and I have flown with some that obviously didn't know squat about ground deicing, like what a holdover time was, or the difference between type 1 or 4 (former fighter pilot). Not necessarily their fault, just making the point that if you've never been trained, you won't know, and for a lot of pt 91 guys, I don't know that they ever get trained. Thoughts?

Fortunately, I cut my teeth on serious winter ops at the airlines. The training was good and I learned that knowledge is power.

I know that FSI was offering a winter ops course (half day) when I was at an initial course a year or so ago. You should call and see if they have any literature they could send you for in-house training/self study in your flight department. Better yet, see if you can sign up for it if you head off to recurrent.

I've got a reasonable amount of time in that type.....just before I quit flying it our ops specs changed to actually getting out of the airplane and doing a tactile check of the wing surface before launching(if there was a line after de-icing). That wing will NOT carry contamination of any kind. My sim instructor at bombardier actually told me that there was a device that would measure off a certain amount of leading edge in which there was a limitation for smashed bugs, even. No kidding. Keep that thing clean.

Originally Posted by doublepsych
Isn't a CL-850 a CRJ in exec interior trim? If so, does the CRJ wing share airfoils with a 601/604/604? Both/All are non LE device equipped, right?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The CL's all have "hot wings" (bleed air).....great airplane, wide cockpit.... but you just have to deice....its a super critical wing...Doesn't like ice.

The skipper on that flight is a freind of mine. He was pulled out of the burning plane as the media stated, but he is in a comma.

Please keep him in your prayers, and do not jump the gun as why it went down. Lets wait until the facts are out.

He was a 121 Capt. on the CRJ and operated in the mid west and very well versed in winter ops.

Again, please keep him in your prayers for a full recovery.

Thank you.

-T

I know the guy....and this Mid-West operation is actually a well known operation called Peeeeeeknuckle airlines out of Memphis.

Ya Know, I'll jump on the boat about the lack of training of deice ops in the corp world. Honestly, I learned about de/anti ice procedures in college, and it has paid off. I have taught fellow pilots with WAY more time and years in the industry than me about how to go about a proper deice/anti ice (type 1 and 4).

Flight Safety, International, ICT will set you up in the sim at the end of rwy 33 in KASE with +SN and a temp of -3. They'll make a big deal about the LINDZ DP, 2nd segment, MTOW...

I have NEVER had any instructor at FSI ask me about what "fluids" we had apllied, who ordered it, a HOT, etc.

It is a HUGE gap in training (winter ops) at FSI.

But hey, as long as the instructors as FSI get to "check off all their boxes"...

Latest resources

Back