Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Question VG's under side of horizontal stabilizer?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Neal

Forums Chief Pilot
Staff member
Type aircraft owned
Carbon Cub FX-3
Base airport
KFCI
Ratings
COMM, IFR, MEL, SEL
Anyone have any experience or information on effects of VG's on the underside of the horizontal stabilizer and how it affects, positive or negative, elevator authority? Curious why CubCrafters doesn't install them on their Carbon Cubs.

I pondered this question with the Tac Aero people and we came to the conclusion it had something to do with the plane not breaking in the power off stall and mushing down without a break. Logically I could not figure it out. However, not cleaning bugs and mud from them has been a treat. My PA18 had Micro VG's on the underside of the stab in just the right position to catch bugs and dirt. The alternative I have seen are strakes forward of the stabilizer. You can see the strake on I believe Steve Johnson's plane from New Holstein 2013. I would be hesitant to add them as the plane is exceptional in the stall as it is. Also the wing VG's are not in a straight line on the FX3 as they are on a PA18 with Micro VG's. Not sure why on that either but it seems to work.

Attachments

• IMG_1874.JPG
    IMG_1874.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 11
  • G0012738.JPG
    G0012738.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1938.JPG
    IMG_1938.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 9

Latest resources

Back