"VFR Tower"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cathaywannabe

What exactly is a "VFR Tower"? How is it different than a "non-VFR tower"?

I've done internet searches and haven't been able to track down a good answer. Any references would be appreciated.

FWIW - I believe it has to do with the availability of radar at that tower or not. Some Class D airports have radar, others do not. I don't have any resources to back me up, just going on a hunch.

My $.02

Well, Boca Raton (BCT) is in a radar environment served by PBI TRACON...but they are considered a VFR Tower. Does a VFR Tower NOT have a Brite scope?

afaik, all class d towers are considered VFR towers. They cannot issue ifr clearances, so even though you fly through there on an ifr flight plan, they are considered a VFR tower due to who owns/controls their airspace (the approach control).

afaik, all class d towers are considered VFR towers. They cannot issue ifr clearances, so even though you fly through there on an ifr flight plan, they are considered a VFR tower due to who owns/controls their airspace (the approach control).

Wrong.

reallY?

please tell me then. :p

I'm sure you've issued plenty of clearances eh? I happen to BE a controller!

and while you're proving me wrong, please list an example of a VFR tower (or class D tower) that can issue an IFR clearance.

Are you saying you can't get an IFR clearence from a VFR tower? I know I have received one from them before while on the ground.

Latest resources

Back