• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Steelhead

[h=1]FLEXJET BOOSTS PAY FOR RED LABEL PILOTS[/h]CHAD TRAUTVETTER
| MAY 2018

[FONT=&quot]https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sha...-news/flexjet-boosts-pay-for-red-label-pilotshttps://twitter.com/intent/tweet?ur...&text=Flexjet Boosts Pay for Red Label Pilotshttps://plus.google.com/share?url=h...-news/flexjet-boosts-pay-for-red-label-pilotshttp://www.linkedin.com/shareArticl... require growth in pilot ranks by 25 percent.
Fractional provider Flexjet recently announced “substantial salary increases” for Red Label pilots, making them what it claims are the highest paid in the industry. Pilots flying for Red Label, Flexjet’s premium offering, are assigned to a specific aircraft tail number and are managed in a small-team environment.
Under the new pay scale, Flexjet said, first-year pilots using the preferential bid schedule could make $80,000 per year; a fifth-year Challenger 350 pilot could earn as much as $176,000; and a third-year Red Label chief aircraft commander flying a Gulfstream G650 could earn $205,000 annually. Red Label pilots also receive quarterly bonus incentives based on performance.
In response to “unprecedented business growth and flight demand,” the company intends to expand its fleet by 14 percent, which will require growth in pilot ranks by 25 percent this year. Flexjet believes that its pay and benefits will allow it to fill these open positions despite the looming pilot shortage.
[/FONT]

And the rest of the article is:
[FONT=&quot]"Meanwhile, Flexjet's pilots, along with those at sister group Flight Options, are currently voting on whether or not to remain unionized. The NMB-overseen voting period began May 2 and ends May 30."
Good luck hiring. Pay doesn't mean everything, especially when you don't have any QOL.[/FONT]

Yes, but you get to wear 5 stripes.

For a first year pilot to make 80,000, you would need to work about over 230 days per year. During training, you are only paid for 16 days no matter how long you are in school. Then you get to wait for an IOE training slot. The truth really hurts, especially when we have 15 years FO's making less than 70,000.

Last edited:
First, Netjets year one pay base pay on a 7 on 7 off schedule is higher while working less days. 52 weeks in a year equals 26x7=182 days worked. First year at Netjets is also $80k. The "preferential bid" here at Flex means you will work 16 days per bid period. There are 13 bid periods a year. 13x16=208 days a year. You also get two weeks vacation at each place...but Netjets week is 7 days while Flex's week is 5 days. Oops, truth in advertising is optional at Flexjet.
There is no such thing as a fifth year 350 captain. Fifth year 350 pay is around $90,000 in reality. Gulfstream pilots get $140,000 as a base. No bonuses were paid to them this year. Again, there is a truth gap here.
Steelhead is a management account. The post is written by the third party union busting Russ Brown or one of his ilk. As Cabbie said, without QOL, you don't want to get caught here.

I almost forgot to mention Netjets pays 100% of your insurance and has a much better 401k match. At Flex, it's a mere 4% match for your first six years. And management argued against improving it during contract arbitration. So don't expect it to improve if there is no Union to negotiate anything better.

Last edited:
First, Netjets year one pay base pay on a 7 on 7 off schedule is higher while working less days. 52 weeks in a year equals 26x7=182 days worked. First year at Netjets is also $80k. The "preferential bid" here at Flex means you will work 16 days per bid period. There are 13 bid periods a year. 13x16=208 days a year. You also get two weeks vacation at each place...but Netjets week is 7 days while Flex's week is 5 days. Oops, truth in advertising is optional at Flexjet.
There is no such thing as a fifth year 350 captain. Fifth year 350 pay is around $90,000 in reality. Gulfstream pilots get $140,000 as a base. No bonuses were paid to them this year. Again, there is a truth gap here.
Steelhead is a management account. The post is written by the third party union busting Russ Brown or one of his ilk. As Cabbie said, without QOL, you don't want to get caught here.

I almost forgot to mention Netjets pays 100% of your insurance and has a much better 401k match. At Flex, it's a mere 4% match for your first six years. And management argued against improving it during contract arbitration. So don't expect it to improve if there is no Union to negotiate anything better.

Actually I don't even have a dog in the fight.... The article was sent to me and came from a buddy who saw it on bjtonline.com and thought it was interesting...... The money still looks pretty decent when you look across the entire sector of the industry.

Last edited:
Actually I don't even have a dog in the fight.... The article was sent to me and came from a buddy who saw it on bjtonline.com and thought it was interesting...... The money still looks pretty decent when you look across the entire sector of the industry.

Except that NO Flexjet pilot actually makes that in the time frame mentioned.

They don't tell you that those guys don't get ot even if they get home two or three days late. Lots of gotchas for International Red Label.

They don't tell you that those guys don't get ot even if they get home two or three days late. Lots of gotchas for International Red Label.

I forgot to include that in my post. It's a straight salary, so they keep guys out extra days and you are on call on your days off too. What are the actual 135 requirements? 4 days off in a quarter or some such nonsense? So just keep that company phone on and in hand. And don't travel more than 90 minutes from the airport, just in case we call you out...

Latest resources

Back