• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Would you do it all over again?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Regardless of how you feel about flying now, would you get into aviation again if you knew what was in store? Especially if you started in the early 90's or 2001 or any other stellar stretch of aviation hiring. Yes, No, or Hell No

I would have joined the kool aid drinkers at ERAU, worn top-gun jackets and sun glasses, Taken on even more debt, maybe do a little PFT and get a "job" flying a jetstream

Im still pretty young and just got my first real flyng job.

Would i do it again? YES....but-

I would started flying in high school rather then chased tail and worried about who had a faster car then me. I would have joined the air force right after high school and flown/cfi stuff while i was enlisted. After my 4-6 years i would have went after a pilot slot in the military or went elsewhere with a 4 year degree and my flying all paid off by the same age i am now. Here i am with no degree and $15k in flying loans left. At least i am flying for a living though. That was always my dream and i have made it. I look forward to a life of avaition (as my whole life has been for a hobby/job so far) and continuing to do what i love.

Last edited:
So you would have chosen airplanes over hot high school a$$? You are the only pilot in the world who has ever or will ever say that.

I would never have done it, knowing what I know now. The pay and benefits will only get worse. For those of you thinking about, or just getting into this business, it's not too late to do something else.

So you would have chosen airplanes over hot high school a$$? You are the only pilot in the world who has ever or will ever say that.

HAHA....nice. Guess you read the part and just focused on that. Im not saying i would have ONLY flown airplanes while in high school. I would have just gave up having a fast ass car and spending money on go fast parts/speeding tickets. Either way its in the past and im here now....its just one of those what ifs.

I would never have done it, knowing what I know now. The pay and benefits will only get worse. For those of you thinking about, or just getting into this business, it's not too late to do something else.

Not true better times are coming because of the worldwide pilot shortage. Even at today's wages and benefits pilots are in the upper 10% of all wage earners in the country. If you like to fly airplanes, it is a great way to make a living. Still living the childhood dream.

Hey, Yip, I believe you're right on.
Let the SpaceCadet go. It sounds like his heart's not in it. He'll be making 80K at some 9-5 job someday soon and say he's happy, and maybe he will be. If you and I probably remember correctly, "Space Cadet" was the absolute lowest score on an old arcade game we used to play. Some goals are easily reached when we set our sights low enough. I never really liked that game very much, and preferred the "Wing Commander" game instead.
The shortage overseas is becoming increasingly evident with the ICAO increase to age 65, and the Indian, Chinese, and UAE airlines stretching their arms out right now for qualified flight crewmembers. The regionals and fractionals are all hiring, and the LCC's and Majors will have to follow soon. It won't happen overnight, but the salaries and benefits will naturaly rise to attract and retain qualified individuals. I believe those that stick it out will have a brighter future.

Yes, I'd do it again. There are days that I'm miserable, but any job is going to have those days. I worked in the corporate-office world before I took up flying. Made good money. Also I was furloughed after 9/11, and took a non flying job to pay the bills for a couple years. Even though I was home every night I was miserable. The daily 9-5 grind with bosses and office politics and deadlines.. ugh that whole world is hell incarnate to me. I couldn't wait to fly again.

I'm the only pilot is my family. I've got an uncle who's a doctor, another who owns a real estate brokerage house, an aunt who's an architect, and so on. Most of them are making excellent money, but do nothing but complain about their jobs. Especially my uncle who is the doctor. He really regrets going that route, and I get the impression he wishes to trade places with me, despite the pay cut. It just proves to me that the 'grass is greener ' on the other side syndrome is all too common. Life is what you make of it, and overall I'm happy doing this. Don't get me wrong, I'd like more money, no doubt, but like other's have said, we still make more than most other working people out there. Honestly, if money is the most important thing to people, and talking to most bitter pilots I'd say it is, why are you working for someone? If money is your goal, you need to be your own boss.

I bet 11th hr is flying because he likes to?

Latest resources

Back