Worried about my career w/ background

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

troy

I was wondering about my future in aviation as a pilot. I have 2 strikes in my background, as I was in a physical relationship with my now ex-wife. The police of a small town got me on a domestic violence charge (we were both fighting). I know that I made a mistake. When she finaly left me, she turned me in to the ATF because I had some hunting guns in the house. See, no body told me that that was a no-no. The last charge is a felony. I am currently attending a college and majoring in an aviation program. Are there going to be jobs for me to fly someday? How strict are some companies? Any insight would be helpfull.:cool:

Background

A felony could be harmful to an aviation career. You certainly have to tell the truth on an app, but I'd say a lot might depend on the recency of your conviction. You'll also hear that ignorance of the law is no excuse. Also, the FARs say an ATP applicant must be "of good moral character."

I'd suggest you order copies of all of your public records. Driving records, credit, court records, everything. Many of these records you can order yourself, but a PI might have access to databases you cannot access. Run a background check on yourself and you can find out what others can find out about you.

Best of luck to you.

Do the best background check on yourself. By your statements it is going to be a difficult battle, but if you are young and you demonstarte a good character over lets say the next ten years they may not look at it so hard. I have got to be honest thoughl, pre 9-11 it was tough, the airlines hate the DUI's and other reckless behaviour like speeding tickets. Now I know that everyone has exceeded the limits at some time. But to HR depts its a good basis of your character and generally anyone with a history is generally not going to make the cut. You have an uphill battle, but need to exceed the minimal standards, so you can highlight that on your resume and apps you will one day fill out. Good luck to you.

If you had a history of domestic violence and the court or whoever whatever said that you were to have no firearms at all in the house and you did-you have a problem. Usually in this country hunting guns really are not considered lethal firearms compared to a AK-47 or any type of handgun. I have a hard time seeing how having a shotgun in any dwelling in this country could get you nailed.
As for the domestic violence, it happens more than you can imagine, HR departments are in charge of 40,000 to 50,000 people that is like a small city. The secret is to be open and honest with the RIGHT people. I wouldn't say anything to any FA or even a fellow pilot once you get hired. Most of those type of situations are better not to be talked about. Flight crews thrive on this type of gossip, and believe me you do not want to be the center of that type of attention. I have seen it get so bad in our company that the people just left because the couldn't handle it anymore. It is sad but true and people are the same no matter where you go or where you work. Will it keep you from getting hired, no, but they will chose another guy over you if you are both similarly qualified. WE all dig our place in life, maybe yours will be flying in some other place than a major airline, nothing wrong with that.

troy,

By the time the economy turns around and you are hunting for an airline job, you might be exactly the type of person the airlines are looking for...you are not afraid to throw a few punches and defend yourself. By then, a gun will probably be accepted as a part of you flight case.

Sorry troy, I couldn't resist.

R.F.

:) :) :) :)

I agree with the previous posts. Chances are slim at best.

Last edited:
My $2 worth

One thing I might do if I were in your shoes is try getting a non flying job with a regional airline, or a company you'd be interested flying for in the future. For example, say you were interested in flying for Skywest once you had the qualifications. (just an example) Try getting a job there on the ramp, or as a ticket agent while working on your ratings. After getting your ratings, continue to work at Skywest while building up your time as a CFI or however you decide doing it.

By that time you will have a few years of working with the company and will have surely had time to meet some of the pilots and possibly upper management there. With you already being an employee there for a few years, it will allow them to realize you are the kind of person they want to continue working for them, regardless of your background. In return, once you decide to apply with them for a flying position, it would definetly increase your chances of flying there, as you are already an employee with a good company work history there. In addition, chances are you could get a few recommendations from people who already work with you at that company.

This is just a suggestion, as I said, I would definetly look into doing something like this if I were in your shoes.

Best of luck to you and your career.

AZ:

I know several people that thought just that only to get burned in the end.
Don't assume that becasue your a rampy or whatever, your chances og getting hired are greater then someone off the street. They aren't

Flame away.

Get ahold of AEPS Backgrounds or Quest and have a background check done and see what comes up. Yes this is potentially a career breaker to some extent but a good deal depends on where you go and what you do from here.

There are jobs in aviation that you can still obtain where this check will not be as important if you stay clean from here

I very well could be wrong but I believe that the felony involving the guns will disqualify you from flying for an airline. If I was you I would call some different airlines' HR departments and ask to speak to someone who handles background checks. I wouldn't tell them my name but I would be very direct and see what they say. By the way I once met a crop duster who said he made six figures working for 4 months of the year. So if the airline gig doesn't work out there are other ways to make good money flying airplanes. Good luck!

328dude,
I would guess that those people did not network properly. As a ramper, you have easy access to all the pilots. It doesn't take much to establish a relationship with them. You still have to sell yourself but it can certainly help.

Latest resources

Back