• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Workers deserve a choice

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Unions started because working conditions were unsafe. They are safe now and we have OSHA to "protect" us. Unions have become businesses interested only in members' dues. The modern unions serve no prupose but to reduce the number of dollars employees take home to their families.

The FAA says that a pilot must have a minimum rest period of 8 hours (reduced) in a 24 hour period. The airlines routinely operate 16 hour duty periods, with 8 hours of rest begining from when the aircraft parking brake is set, and ending when 30 minutes (roughly) from when the parking brake will be released. OSHA has no say in the matter, and the ATA, and RAA lobby the FAA to keep the status quo. Granted the following day is limited in scope of duty to 14 hours because of a mandatory compensatory rest of 10 hours, but that 14 hours is based on 8 hours of rest, which in reality was probably closer to 6 hours of actual sleep at best. Unions on the other hand have been arguing for better rest rules, requiring an actual "behind the door" period, as opposed to current FAR (ambiguous).

Not sure OSHA is protecting pilots on all things safety related.....

I've flown night freight and understand exactly how hard it can be on a pilot. I've never crashed a plane and would have called in sick if I thought my rest (or lack thereof) would have been a problem.

I'm not sure the union* is doing much to actually help you. Are they still accepting your dues?

*Some have said it's not really a union, it's a association. Which is it?

Get rid of unions (by way of not requiring membership) and watch how fast companies change things to screw the employees. You dont like the way your union treats you? Get involved and make a difference!

Unions on the other hand have been arguing for better rest rules, requiring an actual "behind the door" period, as opposed to current FAR (ambiguous).

Not sure OSHA is protecting pilots on all things safety related.....
They've been "arguing" since the 1960's for better rest rules, looks like we're still going by the FAA Standard. The only reason rest rules are getting looked at closely now, is because of the Colgan crash. If that crew hadn't said what they did on the CVR, the rest rules would have never came to light like they had.....and that's because the FAA is taking the heat, it isn't because of ALPA.

Get rid of unions (by way of not requiring membership) and watch how fast companies change things to screw the employees. You dont like the way your union treats you? Get involved and make a difference!

I worked for a non union airline, it was a hell of a lot better place to work for than any ALPA carrier I worked for. We had better work rules, got a long with management.
Unions are a thing of the past. Now they're nothing but a political entity.

Do the labor laws in Germany support Unions?

How is the German economy doing? Did unions impact their success (or lack of it)?

Discuss... or revert to hyperbole and conjuncture.

It will probably be the latter.

Do the labor laws in Germany support Unions?

How is the German economy doing? Did unions impact their success (or lack of it)?

Discuss... or revert to hyperbole and conjuncture.

It will probably be the latter.
Don't have the details, but the DOL in Germany has some sort of veto power over union contracts if they do not resutl in an increase in productivity as a result of the contract. A pay rasie without an increase in productioj per worker would not pass, sounds liek a good idea, no more 5 people to change a light bulb at a UAW plant.

I worked for a non union airline, it was a hell of a lot better place to work for than any ALPA carrier I worked for. We had better work rules, got a long with management.
Unions are a thing of the past. Now they're nothing but a political entity.

And get rid of the threat of bringing that union on the property and watch what happens. Unions are not the answer to everything, but they are a check on the corporations and help to keep a balance.

Latest resources

Back