Woo Hoo

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

alimaui

Okay, this can be added to the list of dorky virtual pilots, but I dont care its my 100th post!

Actually technically not, because the last post to ladybug would have been it except for the guy who wanted to sue his interviewer for hiring a female instead of him, claiming it was discrimination-deleted his post. I would imagine he was a little put off by all of us who told him to suck it up. (If you cannot tell, I was a little dissappointed when he deleted that thread.)

Well, happy posting, and well wishes to you and your families on this memorial day. For all of the pilots here who have served in the military, I appreciate every day that you are away from your families and in less than desirable places to protect the things we hold dear.

Ali

Discrimination

alimaui said:
[
Actually technically not, because the last post to ladybug would have been it except for the guy who wanted to sue his interviewer for hiring a female instead of him, claiming it was discrimination-deleted his post. I would imagine he was a little put off by all of us who told him to suck it up. (If you cannot tell, I was a little dissappointed when he deleted that thread.)

Ali [/B]

:( Interesting, are you saying that discrimination is acceptable because a female was involved? If the female was hired simply because of gender then this is very wrong. If the guy was just upset at not being hired, then he is wrong. If a level playing field is what we all want then let it be that, a fair shot for everyone regardless of gender or race. Employment based on candidate quality and experiance is how it should be. As a professional pilot I want the best person in the cockpit with me not someone hired on the basis of political correctness. Before you all start slaming me, I am a minority who prefers fair play at all levels.

I think all of us are preaching to the choir. I am SICK of magazines, message board postings, and so on that constantly whine about being discriminated against.

I had one boss that reminded me I was still a nigger in aviation. Yes, this id10t told me I was one because I was female. Did I file a lawsuit? No, a horse's rear end ain't worth it. Why would I want to continue working for a place that obviously doesn't want me? I don't even list the place on my resume.

Yes, it happens! PMS is still Putting up with Men's Sh... you know. (Guys, the cure is chocolate and absolutely no comments about weight. The few that survived making comments can attest to that.)

Sometimes an employer will choose diversity over qualifications. That only hurts the employer because they didn't get the best person for the job. Or the employer gets stupid and loses a good employee. Sometimes that one employee can make or break the business.

Ok, I'll stop preaching now, any further folks that make new posts about discrimination will get a link to this post as my response.... *Jedi Nein hears the sighs of relief in the choir.*

Fly SAFE!

Re: Discrimination

Britpilot said:

:( Interesting, are you saying that discrimination is acceptable because a female was involved?

No, I do not agree indiscrimination in any way, shape or form.

If the female was hired simply because of gender then this is very wrong. If the guy was just upset at not being hired, then he is wrong. If a level playing field is what we all want then let it be that, a fair shot for everyone regardless of gender or race.

This was posted a while back, but the jist of his post was. (Forgive me, I can only type what I remember.) He said he went on an interview and was not hired for the position. He said he heard it through the grapevine that they needed/wanted ( I cant remember exactly) to hire a woman for the job. He was asking for opinions on whether this matter should be pursued legally.

Many told him that this would be a very difficult case to prove even if it was true. In a way he kind of just sounded like a whiner for not getting the job. Many MALES on this board told him that it would be hard to pursue, and in any case to SUCK IT UP.

I simply said in my post that gender discimination is not new to the industry (I am not validating discrimination that falls in the favor of my gender). It is simply part of the history of aviation. Frankly, in some cases it is still part of the present of aviation when talking about disciminationn against the fairer sex. Please do not interpret this as me not caring what females attain and how they attain it (by unfair means). Because I suffer the consequences everytime a women is hired, fired, promoted or otherwise treated if the treatment is not deserved. The stigma will be attached to me because I am a woman. Some male pilots (the j@ck@sses)will make me responsible when a women gets hired over thier buddy or maybe needs a little extra work on a maneuver. (Men need extra work on maneuvers too sometimes).

Employment based on candidate quality and experiance is how it should be. As a professional pilot I want the best person in the cockpit with me not someone hired on the basis of political correctness.

Completely agree with you here. Key here is should be. Unfortuneately this is not a perfect world and things are not always as they should be.

Before you all start slaming me, I am a minority who prefers fair play at all levels.

Never! I believe in the golden rule and shall never slam unless slammed first. ;)This post (the current one) was not meant to slam, insult or otherwise, just to clarify.

Ali

Last edited:
Let's throw in age discrimination . . . .

How 'bout giving people who are older a fair shot?? Don't forget about age discrimination, folks. You hear people complain so much about minorities and women being given hiring preference, but you don't hear about people older than the norm being given preference. The reason why you don't is simple; quite the opposite happens. Older people are put in the back of the line or in the round file.

Age discrimination trancends race and gender. In other words, you don't have to be a minority and/or female to be "too old." I was a career changer to aviation before career changing became in vogue. By the time I was ripe for the commuters, which was about 1990, I was nearly 40. I was up front about my age on my resume because it's hard to disguise a 25-year work history, and my age would be found out sooner or later. I received few responses to my apps and resumes compared to the tons of stuff I sent to the commuters, some of whom I sent materials for years. There wasn't much hiring in the early '90s, but, curiously, flight instructors just like me and who worked with me were hired, but with lesser hours and quals, and who were nearly half my age.

It doesn't take a pilot or even a rocket scientist to figure out that I was discriminated against because of age. There was nothing I could do about it or prove it, but you won't convince me otherwise.

No, it is not a perfect world.

Last edited:
Re: Let's throw in age discrimination . . . .

[.

It doesn't take a pilot or even a rocket scientist to figure out that I was discriminated against because of age. There was nothing I could do about it or prove it, but you won't convince me otherwise.

. [/B][/QUOTE]

:) Now that is interesting as I too am a carreer changer who was hired by a National airline when I was 39. Age was not an issue and I was also a flight instructor in the 90's. There was not very much movement than as now but I kept on sending out my resume and in fact was hired on the spot after the two interviews by the company I still work for (well the name has changed but the job is the same). I also made it to check airman and I have never seen any age discrimination any where in the company. Some airlines prefer some older candidates to add some maturity to the mix. Sorry you had such bad luck but I don't belive your situation is or was the norm.

Last edited:
FlyChicaga said:
Boy oh boy Ali, way to go opening another can of worms! :p :D ;)

Actually, believe it or not I put that paragraph in the original post just as a little humorous touch. I figured this post would just make its way to the bottom, never to be heard from again, but you are right. I did open a can of worms. Its a good thing that the title of the post is "woo hoo" and not "Flame bait for discrimination"

Ali

Hey, Britpilot . . . .

When during the '90s were you hired? I know that there was plenty of hiring from about 1995 to 2001. I'm talking about the late '80s-early '90s. I was 40-ish when I became ripe. There is something about being 40 that the commuters find problematical. Maybe Jack Benny had something when he always said his age was 39. :rolleyes: :) In any event, further to your point, I thought that my age would be an asset. Apparently not.

I had a friend who had a commuter interview during the 1995-2001 period and found out that he wasn't hired because of age. Now, majors and nationals do hire people in their 40s. Promoters of the alleged pilot "shortage" make a big deal of that and won't let you forget it. What they don't tell you is, as Paul Harvey puts it, the rest of the story, which is the over-forty people who are hired already have many years of high-quality professional aviation experience, in corporate and/or the commuters, or are ex-military pilots. The best evidence I saw of that was the "Congratulations, FAPA Pilots" section in the old Career Pilot "magazine." It is the commuters who are the blatant practitioners of age discrimination, and the commuters are the next logical step if one fancies an airline career.

I'm pleased that it worked out for you. It does not, and will not, always work out for others.

Last edited:
Re: Hey, Britpilot . . . .

bobbysamd said:
I'm pleased that it worked out for you. It does not, and will not, always work out for others.

:D I was hired in '98, made Captain in '99. being a very young 43 now, I still see my company hiring older folks(when they were hiring) otherwise I would have no one to talk to. I have a friend in recruitment ( the company uses line pilots to conduct interviews) and I can assure that age is not an issue , we even had the oldest flying pilot in commercial aviation flying for us until last year, he now works in the training dept ( I belive Bob was 65, there was an article in Flying magazine about him) I also see a lot of folks from other airlines when I am on trips, belive it or not some are older than me, always makes me feel good. So a lot of us boomers can and do get hired in the airlines and a bit of luck helps too sometimes.

Latest resources

Back