Women Don't Want to Fly as Much as Men!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I made that post...

OK, now you are going to make me work.....That was a paraphrase about research studies pertaining to that specific grade level. I need to find the original study!!

I, by no way, made any statements or implied that all the woes of women are the fault of men.

So far, this discussion has been educated and the reesponses have been informative. Why try to start an argument about feminism and equal chances? No one mentioned those issues; we were just discussing the turn-out during career days.

Additoinally, I did make a post about what happened to me. It is factual and it clearly depicted how the small-town believed (I hope that it has changed and it itsn't believes....) co-eds should be assigned classes.

Luckily, my family wasn't smalll-mined and let me do what I want.

And, if you want to hear what I believe is the bane of my existence -- it is the fact that I am furloughed and the leprosy associated with my employment status.

It's still with us...

My true story is that I was issued a failure on a ME VFR checkride and the examiner stated "I don't feel comfortable flying with a female." When I presented that statement to the MCO FSDO, the kind FAA inspector stated "I don't blame him." I have appealed to the ATL regional office, but they won't answer me.

Again, true story.

"My true story is that I was issued a failure on a ME VFR checkride and the examiner stated "I don't feel comfortable flying with a female." When I presented that statement to the MCO FSDO, the kind FAA inspector stated "I don't blame him." I have appealed to the ATL regional office, but they won't answer me. "

There's got to be more to the story... I don't buy it.

If you want to fly, go join the military. They're granting waivers to get women flying. Take LtCol Martha McSally (AOPA mag this month) for example. She's too short, but they gave her a waiver. I couldn't pass the vision test, personally. No waivers for angry white men apparently.

Obviously this is going over better here than in Nashville next week at the Women in Aviation annual meeting.

In preparation for an interview that I did with Peggy Chabrian on Avcareer.TV I looked at some numbers. It appeared to me that about the same number of women start every year but that the proportion that are serious and doing it for a career are a much higher percentage. There has also been a marked increase in the other aviation industry jobs

Aggie Pilot,
I personally know of a number of white males who have been issued waivers for a number of disqualifying factors, including vision. Perhaps it had more to do with you being angry, and less with you being a "white man".

No telling, Bluto. Sure wish I could have figured out what it took to get one of those mysterious waivers though. When I was looking, 15 years ago, the only ones I knew of getting waivers were the ones who'd been trained and had the vision go South afterwards.

Had a roommate in college who was three years into an academic scholarship with the USMC. His vision dropped below 20/20 just before his senior year. No flying for him, either. But, he was also an angry white male.

****I think that all jobs in the military, including direct combat positions, including Marine infantry, should be open to anyone that can PASS THE TEST***

You also mentioned that there should be a draft for women.

I think this is a horrible idea. What kind of country drafts their young women and then sends them out to war?

The military is not a social program.

From a practical perspective, as a nation, do you really want to send off young females of child bearing age to die? Even egg bearing female lobsters are protected by our federal goverment.

From a personal perspective, would you want you daughter drafted to go charge an Afghan foxhole to be possibly raped and brutalized?

Feminists pay lip service to the ideal of equality in the military. If they wanted true equality, they would lobby for all women to sign up for selective service at the age of 18. They would lobby for all women to be included in the draft. And, there would be no instant out based on pregnancy...or the woman combatant would have to agree to use enforced birth control. If that happened, we would really see just how popular equality in the military is.

No matter what NOW wants to tell you, men and women are wired differently. I am not saying that there aren't great woman pilots, I am saying that as a populution, women aren't as interested as men.

Whats really funny are these studies claiming that girls are discriminated against in school, when in most measurements, they outperform boys. What is the most destructive element of our society? Teenage males. Just ask any auto insurance company. According to the measurement of social disfunction, boys are the ones requiring the most help.

Enough of my rant.

here we go...

Yes, aviation tends to be labelled as the "good old boys club", but in my experience, 95% of the men I've met are nice, helpful, respectful. The other 5%...well, they are what they are. But not all women in aviation are wonderful either...there are nice people and not-so-nice people, I suppose.

On another note, in the aviation and air traffic control classes at my school, it's about a 60-40 split between males and females. But I admit, more women are in the air traffic control program than the flight program. I'm one of the few ATC students who gives a **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** about flying the planes too.

Fewer women are interested in aviation, but then, fewer men are interested in being interior decorators. It's all relative.

Ravengirl

Women are diffrent than men. Women get more into the big picture of things and the details at the same time. Men can't do that, either we are looking at the big picture or we are looking at the details. On the other hand women don't want to be bothered with all the hassle of all of the above, it creates pressure and most women like to "chill out." They do need approval and they want to produce, give them the approval and they will climb a mountain for you. As for interest all my girls(five of them) want to fly but the economic's won't allow it. My sons aren't interested but if they were I would encourage him. The girls seem to like to fly for fun, my wife loves to just cruise in the C-150 and just check stuff out. To go fly and practice, that's boring. In the end women make wonderful aviators and I love having them on the flight deck, they are wonderful crewmembers. I have flown as FO for women and have had them as FO's, either way it was a pleasure and a priveledge.

Latest resources

Back