Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Fly91

Registered Pilot
To install a the PM1000DAP 11900D 2-Place for Dual Audio Panel Systems $459.95.

Into a Lear 55.

Total quote was $6000.00

Why.........

Any ideas on the cheapest way to add an Intercom so the pilots don't have to yell in the cockpit...............

Sounds to me the shop has more than they can do or they just do not want to do it kind of pricing. In their defense however its not as simple as a car stereo but 6k seems high.

Hmmm.....I'll have to keep looking around. Someone has to want to do it for a reasonable price....

Lears shouldn't that loud. I could have a conversation in a Lr25 no problem. Is there something that is making your lear extra loud?

What do you think is a reasonable price?

Well, considering the parts cost $460.00.....to pay a mechanic or a shop any more than $1,000 for the 4-5 hours it takes to install it is friggin highway robbery.

$6,000 is complete bullsheet.

I just spoke to an avionics guy that said he can do it for $4,000....thats still bullsheet.....and why the big difference between $6,000 and $4,000?

Substantial paperwork for faa approval prior to starting the install is my guess...and no one can put an intercom in a lear in 4-5 hours...4000.00 is about right for a shop that wants the work and 6000.00 would be a shop that is busy but will get it done if need be...hopefully you didnt get the cart before the horse.....

Substantial paperwork for faa approval prior to starting the install is my guess...and no one can put an intercom in a lear in 4-5 hours...4000.00 is about right for a shop that wants the work and 6000.00 would be a shop that is busy but will get it done if need be...hopefully you didnt get the cart before the horse.....

Duncan said 4-5 hours, they've done 100's of them. A private avionics guy said the same thing, 4-5 hours.

We're going tomorrow to look at this set up a guy has in a Lear 25. $300 worth of Sportys type intercoms and wiring, their hot mikes still work normally.

Screw the FAA and their paperwork and certifications....not paying $6,000 so I can talk to the guy next to me without raising my voice the whole flight.

Duncan said 4-5 hours, they've done 100's of them. A private avionics guy said the same thing, 4-5 hours.

We're going tomorrow to look at this set up a guy has in a Lear 25. $300 worth of Sportys type intercoms and wiring, their hot mikes still work normally.

Screw the FAA and their paperwork and certifications....not paying $6,000 so I can talk to the guy next to me without raising my voice the whole flight.
In "Duncan speak" that means 8 hrs minimum....If your inspection program allows for "sporty's " type work than that is your best bet....

In "Duncan speak" that means 8 hrs minimum....If your inspection program allows for "sporty's " type work than that is your best bet....

No...the Sportys stuff would just be hooked up by us when we fly the plane, then taken home with us after each flight. Literally taken out of the little flight bag after we start engines, hook it up in 30 seconds, then unhooked and put back in the bag when we pull into parking. :)

Our little way of saying screw the FAA and the high, ridiculous costs of something so simple to install....just because its AVIATION........

Latest resources

Back