• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Who's been furloughed the LONGEST?!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I sincerely hope you folks all get recalled real soon. I also feel it in my bones that you will.

I have been furloughed twice, been RIF'd once, worked for two aviation companies that have are room temperature. Also been Chapter 13 once and Chapter 11 once. I am now at American Airlines very close to furlough but not a stranger to it. Life is good!

You'll be back sooner than you know it. If you start to feel sorry for yourselves do some home work and check out all those folks at TWA, USAir and so on and so on... that have been furloughed for 6 + yerrs and are back in the saddle!

I sincerely hope to see ya' in the TCAS or window soon,

Counselair

Counselair,
Finally...I was hoping some old-timers would step in. In the grand scheme of things...our furlough has been nothing yet. I have a friend at Lakes...her father was furloughed for 6 years, 11 months. We'll probably be furloughed again down the line. I'm almost a "real airline pilot". I was within a hair of a strike (2 hours past strike deadline 1 week off of IOE) and have been furloughed after 3 months on the job. This is a good warm up. Look out WORLD! ;)

Last edited:
The first furloughs this time are the cargo carriers after numerous postal contracts were lost when the USPS went into closed negotiations with Fedex and they spirited them away. Kitty Hawk, Express One, Ryan, Emery are just a few. All were pre 9/11, Some started as far back as March '01 if I remember correctly.

Conventional wisdom says your not a real airline pilot till you've been furloughed, been through strikes, bankruptsy, etc. Counselair, I think you qualify as about as "real" an airline pilot as there is. Welcome to American. Hope you left all that bad mojo behind ya.

October 1 seems to be the winning number. As others have mentioned, some at UAL were out on the street up to seven years. One I met personally. He said it sucked. But he's also a triple seven captain now. I don't think (hope?) any of us will have to endure that sort of eternity, so keep hope alive.

Nov 1st here

ok, i feel better now after reading all of the above, at least I don't feel all alone anymore, Nov 1st here from Midwest Express and bored to death also... I think we all need some good news soon, enough is enough its not funny anymore... good luck to all of us on the street..

-AWACoff , "old timers", unfortunatly this thread ran on my Birthday thanks for the blackeye!

-Dragginass, as far as being a "real airline pilot" goes thanks for the comlipment. I'm just one of the guys fortunate enough to be able to do something I love doing, and honored enough to have folks like you all to list as my peers.

I hope everyone is off of chairborne and back to airborne real soon!

Counselair:)

Latest resources

Back