Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

B-J-J Fighter

Royce Gracie in Action
I know I dont come in 1st here, I have about 350 dual given. I got lucky early in my aviation career by picking up some part 91 flying to get to IFR 135 mins. I just got ny CFI ticket a little while ago to make some extra money on the side besides the 135 flying I do.

I know Bobbyamds has a bunch. It can get frustrating at times, especiaaly teaching older men, for some reason SOME not all dont catch on as quick. Im teaching a young kid (17) instruments, I did his pvt. and this kid is just a natural.

Sorry for the rambling, back to my original question, How much dual given do you have. Anyone with more than 2000 should be given half the next Big Game lottery jackpot. I know they must have to take some kind of medicine daily to relieve them of all the frustration they incurred.

"Flow With The Go"

You haven't flown the B-52?

Dual Given

Just like "slowdryver," I got stuck in the early 90s recession/war and couldn't get out, so I had to get out. My instructing time does not include dual given in sims.

You can teach old dogs new tricks but you have to be patient with them and devise strategies to make it easy for them to learn. Sometimes you have to break down each big procedure into many little small procedures. Older people sometimes do better if you can give them a step-by-step recipe to read and memorize. Success, even on a small scale, is a great motivator. If an older person can find success executing a procedure by rote, they'll gain confidence, and that will build upon itself.

Some adults are just hard to teach. These can include certain types of business people or professionals who don't like to be told what to do. They have trouble accepting the notion that to learn how to fly they have to pay someone to tell them what to do and be criticized in the process. However, many of these same people are bright and can be taught after you prove yourself to them that you know what you're doing.

I instructed a bunch of 17-year-olds; in fact, one 17-year-old was my very first signoff. The youngsters really do pick up new motor skills quickly. I think it has to do with being young and not having experienced many outside influences. Also, young people are in learning mode because they are going to school. After you finish your education you get out of school mode and it is hard to get back into it. I went back to school in my mid 40s. Did well, better than I ever did when I was kid, but I studied four to six hours a day, seven days a week, along with class and time in the law library.

Last edited:
Dual Given

I have 1300 dual given. Where I taught for a few summers years ago one of the owners of the private airport had 10,000 hours dual given. She had been teaching for about 40 years. Today she is about 70 years old!

I have about 2100 dual given in airplanes and another 400 or so in simulators. Not real big numbers but I'm a little unusual in that I have over 900 dual given in light twins, almost all of it either simulated SE or actual full feather SE, including somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 full feather SE landings. During those 900+ hours I also had the misfortune of having to do 2 full feathered SE go arounds in a light twin. Not fun. Both times someone pulled out on to the runway in front of me when I was on final. One when I was on short, short final.

I got stuck in the 90's downturn and have about 2600 dual given. I enjoyed it up until about the last six months, then it was time to go!
Happy New Year!-Jetprop

BTW, the guy I worked for stopped counting at 11000+ dual given and that was years ago. He's still going strong at around 54. He's forgotten more about flight instructing than I'll ever know. The only CFI certficates he doesn't have is lighter than air. He's the only guy I ever met that can train you for a commercial multiengine instrument seaplane checkride.

Latest resources

Back