• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Who has the most hours?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
John Deakin over on AvWeb claims 35K hours. Of course, he readily admits that over half of that is in the 747, where he's commonly just sitting around watching Otto fly for hours on end, or sleeping in the back. That column where he talks about his tens of thousands of hours that in his mind mean essentially jack squat is pretty funny. :D

Most hours

There was an old-time pilot whose first name was Max - very well known, I can't remember the last name at the moment, though, had a book written about him - who had something like 40,000 hours.

I read of at least a couple of old-time airline pilots in Flying the Line who had upwards of 30,000 hours. These were gentlemen who started as airmail pilots in open-cockpit biplanes and ended their careers flying DC-7s and Connies and maybe the first four-engined jets! Wouldn't they have had stories to tell!

The Powerline Patrol pilot mentioned in a previous post was written up in AOPA pilot as the pilot with the most hours. It seems to me that he had 60,000 hours. I can't remember for sure or remember the issue it appeared in. No offense to anyone but his time wasn't in a long haul 74, it was just about all low level stick and rudder time in a j-3 or some other cub.

Hope someone with a beter memory can come up with this article.

regards

Andy Neill said:
I'll vote on what instead of who. The MIR has been up over 130,000 hours.

:cool:

Um, the Mir Space Station returned to Earth when controllers ordered a final thrust on March 22, 2001, deorbiting the Mir space station into the Pacific Ocean!

I'm just wondering, doesn't some professional golfer have a lot of hours? Maybe Arnold Palmer or Jack Nicholaus(spelling), if I remember correctly they had alot of hours for not flying for a living.

I know a guy in the Kansas City area, who i was told when he filled out an Insurance App. for a C421, under Total Time he put 45000+. And he's still flying.

Adam Berg (DPE at VNY) claims to have 63,000hrs. Don't try ro do the math. I made the mistake of questioning how this could be possible and had to sit through a re-telling of all 63,000hrs.

HU-16 said:
I'm just wondering, doesn't some professional golfer have a lot of hours? Maybe Arnold Palmer or Jack Nicholaus(spelling), if I remember correctly they had alot of hours for not flying for a living.

Arnold Palmer has a Citation X... He does fly it, but I don't think he has any outrageous number of hours.... probably a few thousand...

Flight time

Hello,
No offense, but I wonder who has more interesting tales to tell... The overseas 744 skipper with 20K in his logbook or 60K flying 500' AGL and below? Interesting question to ponder, and I wouldn't think that there would be much question about how much of that 60K was on AP vice the "managed flight" of the 744 crew. Wasn't it a UAL 747 F/O that botched a MGTOW departure from SFO because, "aircraft handling skills are seriously degraded". Once again the quality vs. quantity argument loses it's validity.

Regards,

ex-Navy rotorhead

Latest resources

Back