• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What's the draw at EJA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
there is seat swapping at the PIC's option after you have 50 hours in the a/c. You can also alternate legs (remain in seat) after 250hours.. You are typed in the aircraft in round ONE at sim training....

Why EJA? Heres my take....

I chose to go with Executive Jet for several reasons. Let me mind you the money was not the first reason - but the ability to remain living where I am now. The money will come soon - we all hope! The company treats their employees well and is in process of negotiating a contract with more "industry standard" wages for the equipment flown by the pilot core. When talking to pilots from the different fracs, I have found that the most positive responses I receive come from EJA first and Flight Options second. The Flex and RTA folks seem to always have mixed responses, one being lack of movement within the pilot group for upgrades and equipment changes. At EJA, many find an immediate opportunity to bid left seat if personal preferences fall in line. I, for one, had the opportunity to choose between the Ultra, the Citation 7, and the Falcon 2000 for a new hire class. I went with the Falcon because of my background in the Citation 500 series a/c. Something new will be nice!

One additional benefit is that new hires can sign up for medical and dental insurance on day one with no out-of-pocket payroll deduction. (Correct me if I am wrong.) This is unheard of in the Part 91 business and probably even with some major air carriers. You also will receive uniforms at company expense and a Telex Headset before heading for the line. These are little things that in the end make for a good job experience.

If you are coming from a regional carrier, the first year pay is better and the life on the road has to be better. No more Super 8's or Red Roof's with EJA - Hilton is the preferred hotel chain and many others also. Best wishes on your aviation pursuits! HF

The pros and cons....

EJA pluses: State of the art equipment, with excellent (factory warranty)
mx on most aircraft. Great schedules, excellent training,
free crew food while working, paid uniforms, excellent
vacation policy, great medical & dental benefits, company
safety policy that is more than lip service (you can call in
tired and keep your job), super gateway system with non
senority based choices for gateways, great people to fly
with (on average) , and great customers to fly for (usually),
Quite possibly the most stable jet jobs in the entire world
right now due to unlimted growth and rapid hiring.

EJA minuses: Pay is 30 - 70% below current NBAA standards on most
aircraft. 7 on, 7 off schedule available to only top 50%
senority crews, poor 401K plan with 6 years vesting
requirement, some aircraft crews work VERY hard for their
money (C-560, C-750). The east coast based pilots are
worked MUCH harder than the west coast based pilots,
weak, and emasculated union that gave away TWO prior
contracts when the economy was the strongest for
pilots in the HISTORY of aviation.

I love this place, and have been here for close to five years,
but it is far from perfect. However....things right now are
jamming!

To everyone, this is all very enticing information. Especially the live where you want flexibility. I'll definately keep EJA on the career employment options list.

Sammy and InHot,
I'm still in Iwakuni putting in plenty of time in 58 and 59. Getting another 15 hrs this weekend; got a trip to Guam. As for Pedro, SAR was deactivated last September. It broke my heart to sign over 51 to the Navy. I'm the former SOMS MaintO, current HHS OpsO, future...who knows. Either of you know Steve Murphy? Left here about 8 months ago, should be on your property by now. I'll send a private email later.

Oh yeah, InHot, I'm glad you were breaking in the C-12s for me while I was at my Prom in '88!

17 day schedule to start. 2-6 day "tours" and a 5 day tour. in between these work segments are 3-5 days off. And overtime available on top of the sched.

You also have a third option on schedules: The "no-life" schedule oncall with a pager and very little scheduled time off. I think you'd have to live near CMH to make this work. You get more pay for this. I cannot guess why anyone would choose this option but it is available.

tj

The flex, or "no life" schedule...

Their is a fair amont of strategy in using the flex or "no life" schedule.
EJA is getting new aircraft all of the time. For example the Galaxy, and
soon the Cessna Sovereign. You bid the first slots on the new airplanes,
then bid the flex schedule before the aircraft are actually on site. I
know quite a few guys who did this for two quarters on the Excel. There
were dozens on crews with no aircraft...they spent six months at home
with flex (extra) pay. Once the crew to A/C ratio firms up, bid back to the 17
day or 7/7 schedule.

It's a pretty slick deal. 3 to 6 months off (or close to it) with pay.

Like Sweptwingz said the Flex is not all that bad if you work it right. The Flex means you are available to the company for 21 days out of the month, you have 4 hard days off-but the rest are up to the company. Basically you are on call. You can call ops at night and they will tell you one of three things for the next day
1. You are off(This is not a hard day off)
2. You have a show time
3. You are on call(counts as a duty day-whether called out or not)
They can work you for 19 days-anything over that is an Extended Days Pay.
Right now this is not a bad deal for most F/O's because most of the fleets are fat on F/O's or for people awaiting IOE-again all fleets Fat on IOE F/O's so there is a backlog and they don't get used.
You can bid the Flex out of any of the 25 gateways-I hear allot of West Coast pilots bid the Flex cause they get used less than the East Coast pilots.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back