What's the draw at EJA?

Phrogs4ever

Total Time
10000+
OK, so I've been away from the website for a while, but I've noticed a marked attraction towards EJA. Not only based on the different type of work from airlines, but also a preference above the other fractionals. Besides the fact that they are the largest and fastest growing frac, what's all the love about? I've compared the updated info on fracstats.com and nothing jumps out at me saying "this is the place to be." Also, what's expected in this upcoming super contract I've heard about? Some say it will be heads above the other fracs, and I've even heard someone say it will be on par with airline pay, whatever that means. So what gives? There are pilots on this website who don't even work for the company and swear it's their ultimate career goal to work for EJA. I'm a Marine, so please keep the replies simple. Thanks all.

tjsatter

Total Time
none
"Largest and fastest growing" and leader in the field suggests some measure of job security and a future with quick upgrades. Also suggests long term stability and survival. The type of flying for fractionals is very attractive, random destinations, semi-scheduled. 7 days on 7 days off schedule to me is semi-retirement.

Brand new state of the art equipment.

EJA has a union. I've been on both sides of this equation and the net opinion is that while the union and the company fight things out perhaps I'll be left alone to just do my job. This is just a general comment on unions. Relations at EJA appear to be very good. Don't know nothing but rumours reference the new contract (what's going on there?) but it's expected to be good.

All pilots and others at EJA I've talked to are very very positive on the company. Claim they're treated very well and everybody loves it, sounds like a great place to work. At the interview an EJA captain told a story of the phone ringing in flight; dispatch calling to give suggestions on how to negotitate some real nasty weather up ahead.

Warren Buffet owns the company.

What's not to like? I start May 6

tj

LR45JI

Total Time
bt' 10
The reason I love working for EJA is how I am treated by the company and about 1,000 other reasons. I have worked for the largest regional airline then went to a larger airline in my career and was always treated like a liability. Here at EJA I am treated like an asset for the first time in my career.

Add the fact we are part of the Hathaway family; I feel relatively secure in my job which is rare, especially during these times. Also, over my career I will have the opportunity to fly about 8 different types of aircraft and if I want I will be able to hold the 737 one of these days, if I so chose. Plus while flying with EJA I don't have to fly to LGA 3-times a day over and over. It's never uninteresting - I get to see some amazing places that I would never see flying for the airlines.

Just my 2 cents on EJA

Happy Flying

superfly

Total Time
lots
EJA

I work for EJA and have completed most of the training but haven't seen what it's like on the line. The company seems top notch, the pay is kind of pathetic, but we all have high hopes for the new contract. With safety being the first concren there will never be that pressure which I've seen in the past to push the legal limit. If you are the kind of person that likes to know your scheduled overnights and legs planned in advance this is not for you. If you can handle changing destinations enroute and not pulling up to a jetway, go for it. The company has many perks including great benifits and from what I hear good crew food. Upgrade is pretty much whenever you want it on the smaller planes and at most a year on some of the larger equipment. excluding the DA-2000 and B-737.

So what is the real draw? EJA is hiring more pilots than almost anyone (500-700 in 2002 alone). We are taking delivery of 1 new plane every 6 or 7 days and there doesn't seem to be an end to that for several years. This place is the up and comming of commercial aviation and time will tell if pay makes it the end all be all.

Superfly

Sammy

Total Time
Phrogs4ever,
I am retired USMC and work for EJA. On the XL and enjoy it and the company. As an FO in the XL, one does not fly too much because there are too many Cpt's to FO's currently. The company is in the process of correcting this, but you can only upgrade so many FO's to PIC's do to the number of sim slots available. I am optimistic about the contract, but then I am a person who usually will see the glass 1/2 full vice 1/2 empty. Only time will tell for sure. I see by the aircraft flown you are a SAR bubba. I was too. Flew Torii559, 558, Pedro28,30,51 out of RJOI. I assume this is where you were? Take care and feel free to send me a private email.
Semper Fi,
Sammy

lrdriver

Total Time
I leave for Hawker school on March 13th and from what I have seen in the little time I've been around the company is very simple, It's about the people. The people who work for them, the people they fly and the people who deal with them on a daily basis. The company is very TEAM oriented and believe in team work.

I chose this company over several airline and other fractional job offers. The company has a great history and a better future. The choice was simple.

InHot

Oh Yeahhhh
Total Time
RJOI??

Hey Sammy,

I was at RJOI '88 - '91, How 'bout you?

Flew those Foxtrot C-12s when they were new!

Sammy

Total Time
RJOI

I was there 92-95. Skull was the HHS CO, Fatback was the OpsO. Walt Driver was the XO for awhile.
Semper Fi Sammy

learflyer

Time to drill Congress!
Total Time
5000+
Is there seat swapping at eja for dead/live legs? I take it you don't get typed right away either? thanks

tjsatter

Total Time
none
Seat swapping?

EJA likes to tell their customers of the superior qualifications, training, and experience of their flight crews. To this end you are typed and qualified as captain right from the start. Upgrades in some planes are very quick.

tj

dkte737

Total Time
there is seat swapping at the PIC's option after you have 50 hours in the a/c. You can also alternate legs (remain in seat) after 250hours.. You are typed in the aircraft in round ONE at sim training....

highflyer

Total Time
7000+
Why EJA? Heres my take....

I chose to go with Executive Jet for several reasons. Let me mind you the money was not the first reason - but the ability to remain living where I am now. The money will come soon - we all hope! The company treats their employees well and is in process of negotiating a contract with more "industry standard" wages for the equipment flown by the pilot core. When talking to pilots from the different fracs, I have found that the most positive responses I receive come from EJA first and Flight Options second. The Flex and RTA folks seem to always have mixed responses, one being lack of movement within the pilot group for upgrades and equipment changes. At EJA, many find an immediate opportunity to bid left seat if personal preferences fall in line. I, for one, had the opportunity to choose between the Ultra, the Citation 7, and the Falcon 2000 for a new hire class. I went with the Falcon because of my background in the Citation 500 series a/c. Something new will be nice!

One additional benefit is that new hires can sign up for medical and dental insurance on day one with no out-of-pocket payroll deduction. (Correct me if I am wrong.) This is unheard of in the Part 91 business and probably even with some major air carriers. You also will receive uniforms at company expense and a Telex Headset before heading for the line. These are little things that in the end make for a good job experience.

If you are coming from a regional carrier, the first year pay is better and the life on the road has to be better. No more Super 8's or Red Roof's with EJA - Hilton is the preferred hotel chain and many others also. Best wishes on your aviation pursuits! HF

sweptwingz

Total Time
Gobs
The pros and cons....

EJA pluses: State of the art equipment, with excellent (factory warranty)
mx on most aircraft. Great schedules, excellent training,
free crew food while working, paid uniforms, excellent
vacation policy, great medical & dental benefits, company
safety policy that is more than lip service (you can call in
tired and keep your job), super gateway system with non
senority based choices for gateways, great people to fly
with (on average) , and great customers to fly for (usually),
Quite possibly the most stable jet jobs in the entire world
right now due to unlimted growth and rapid hiring.

EJA minuses: Pay is 30 - 70% below current NBAA standards on most
aircraft. 7 on, 7 off schedule available to only top 50%
senority crews, poor 401K plan with 6 years vesting
requirement, some aircraft crews work VERY hard for their
money (C-560, C-750). The east coast based pilots are
worked MUCH harder than the west coast based pilots,
weak, and emasculated union that gave away TWO prior
contracts when the economy was the strongest for
pilots in the HISTORY of aviation.

I love this place, and have been here for close to five years,
but it is far from perfect. However....things right now are
jamming!

Phrogs4ever

Total Time
10000+
To everyone, this is all very enticing information. Especially the live where you want flexibility. I'll definately keep EJA on the career employment options list.

Sammy and InHot,
I'm still in Iwakuni putting in plenty of time in 58 and 59. Getting another 15 hrs this weekend; got a trip to Guam. As for Pedro, SAR was deactivated last September. It broke my heart to sign over 51 to the Navy. I'm the former SOMS MaintO, current HHS OpsO, future...who knows. Either of you know Steve Murphy? Left here about 8 months ago, should be on your property by now. I'll send a private email later.

Oh yeah, InHot, I'm glad you were breaking in the C-12s for me while I was at my Prom in '88!

InHot

Oh Yeahhhh
Total Time
SAR??

Phrog,

So, what are they doing for SAR at RJOI now??

learflyer

Time to drill Congress!
Total Time
5000+
If only the top 50% of seniority get the 7/7, then what is the new hire schedule at eja?

tjsatter

Total Time
none
17 day schedule to start. 2-6 day "tours" and a 5 day tour. in between these work segments are 3-5 days off. And overtime available on top of the sched.

You also have a third option on schedules: The "no-life" schedule oncall with a pager and very little scheduled time off. I think you'd have to live near CMH to make this work. You get more pay for this. I cannot guess why anyone would choose this option but it is available.

tj

sweptwingz

Total Time
Gobs
The flex, or "no life" schedule...

Their is a fair amont of strategy in using the flex or "no life" schedule.
EJA is getting new aircraft all of the time. For example the Galaxy, and
soon the Cessna Sovereign. You bid the first slots on the new airplanes,
then bid the flex schedule before the aircraft are actually on site. I
know quite a few guys who did this for two quarters on the Excel. There
were dozens on crews with no aircraft...they spent six months at home
with flex (extra) pay. Once the crew to A/C ratio firms up, bid back to the 17
day or 7/7 schedule.

It's a pretty slick deal. 3 to 6 months off (or close to it) with pay.

cgmason1

Total Time
10000+
Like Sweptwingz said the Flex is not all that bad if you work it right. The Flex means you are available to the company for 21 days out of the month, you have 4 hard days off-but the rest are up to the company. Basically you are on call. You can call ops at night and they will tell you one of three things for the next day
1. You are off(This is not a hard day off)
2. You have a show time
3. You are on call(counts as a duty day-whether called out or not)
They can work you for 19 days-anything over that is an Extended Days Pay.
Right now this is not a bad deal for most F/O's because most of the fleets are fat on F/O's or for people awaiting IOE-again all fleets Fat on IOE F/O's so there is a backlog and they don't get used.
You can bid the Flex out of any of the 25 gateways-I hear allot of West Coast pilots bid the Flex cause they get used less than the East Coast pilots.

Last edited: