• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What would YOU do?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I once met a captain at my airline who never took a flight lesson until he turned 40. He wanted to know about my previous cargo job, so he could keep flying after 60. He was a real aviator, and a fun person to fly with as well. So, don't give up.

If I had it to do over again, I would give up your job and go to an aviation college full time. That way, you can get all of your ratings, meet people who can help you, and get students loans for all of the costs. You can probably work there as a CFI as well, to build your time. You will probably have to work part-time as well, but that's okay. You can also get a BS degree if you don't have one, and if you do, get your masters. By the time you finish, the airlines may be hiring again, and you can catch the next wave.

Also, I would recommend the book "I could do anything, if I only knew what it was," by Barbara Sher. It talks about leaving your "safe" job in order to persue your dream, and about the fact that there is no such thing as a safe job anyway. Good luck, and I hope this helps.

Earl,

The most successfull people are those that take chances.

I was in the same position about a year ago. Had a job I hated but made incredilbe money. My two "new" choices were to drop everything and train full time, or go into business for myself and hope to be able to afford to fly for fun instead of for a living. With family in hand, I had to take what was my second choice (starting a new business) with no regrets, but some disappointment that I would probably never be a "professional" pilot.

This all came together in August, and Sept. 10th, was the first day of the "new" business venture. Not a good week to start a business or start flight training. I know that with either choice I would have made it happen. I have made a 10th of what I made a year ago, but couldn't be happier. Still get to fly now and again and hopefully it will be more in the future.

My point, after all this rambling, is do what you want to do and do it now. There is no tomorrow and we are only as good as we are right now. If you want to fly, drop the job, start training and never look back. Being single allows you much more freedom in your choices and the ease of moving around.

Good luck with your choice whatever it may be.

Earl,

It sounds like you're in a situation many of us are in or have been in. Maintaining a full time occupation and flying on the side works for some individuals, but not others. Like you mentioned, it is hard to find time in a busy schedule and balance flying between your family and other commitments, not to mention unwind time from the office.

Flying, as you know, is expensive and regardless of whether you puruse it via the local FBO or a big school, money keeps airplanes flying.

If you are in a situation where you have the means to quit your job and fly / train full time - do it. You'll learn faster and most likely complete your objectives far sooner and at less cost than if you only flew once or twice a week. Finding part time jobs around your flight / training schedule are not difficult to find, but depending on your study habbits, may change when you study.

In a nut shell, if its what you love and your passion, I think many of us are telling you to DO it full time if you can... you'll get where you want to be faster. No regrets.

Any chance your employer would let you take a six-month sabatical? A half year is plenty of time to get your instrument, commercial, multi and instructor ratings (as a full-time student, that is). And if you don't have a CFI gig at the end of that time, you could go back to the grind until you find a flying job.

Anyway, after spending 2.5 years to get my private license while working, I decided to quit and flight train full time. 3.5 months later I had my instrument, commercial, CFI and CFII tickets in hand. And now...I work for an aviation magazine...go figure.

thanks to all!

As always, I appreciate everyone's replies. I tell ya, this board is, amongst other things, a great sanity check! I continue to be amazed at how fellow aviators are so willing to offer advice and insight to those like me that are in the process of getting on with this journey! VERY valuable advice, I might add!

Again, thanks for the sanity check...it doesn't seem like such a crazy idea now to just get out of the current career, and focus all my energies on training. Others outside of aviation will continue to think I'm off my rocker...but, to each their own, I guess.

And thanks for the book recommendation Skydiverdriver...sounds right up my alley!

-Earl

Putting in a plug here for the company i now work for... look up www.allatps.com and request information on their career pilot program, it is a great deal and the quickest way to become a paid pilot. I am very glad I found the program.

All ATP...

coincidentally, All ATP is at the airport I train at...I see their Seminoles cutting in front of me at the run-up area all the time :D

Actually, I've heard nothing but good things about the program, and of course it's nice to get all that multi-time. However, for me personally, getting all those ratings in 95 days sounds super-human! But, since people are able to do it, I guess it's possible.

What were your thoughts on the program? (and it's fast-pace?)

- Earl

Oh, one other thing, I did the slow way on my ratings, by working a regular job and paying them off one by one. It took over ten years. I gave up several times, and would not recommend this track. I think doing it all at once like ATP's or an aviation college makes a lot more sense. I also worked at ATP and think it's an excellent program. The time frame sounds superhuman, but it's not that bad. I had a problem forgetting things with my ratings, and the regs changed a lot during that time. No such difficulty with the quicker programs. Hope this helps, and good luck.

Another ATP question...

I'll definitely check out the ATP program...but had one question for those who had any experience there. I've heard that it's somewhat common to bust (at least) one checkride there (probably due to the fast-paced nature of the program). I know that's it's possible to bust a checkride WHEREVER you train, but that it's just a little more common at ATP. Again, this is just what I've heard...maybe I'm totally wrong!

I know based on my PPL training, there are some days you fly well, and others not so well. I fortunately flew quite possibly the best I've ever flown on my checkride, yet the day prior in prep probably flew my worst! So, I know one can have just "one of those days" on a ride, and it by no means reflects improper training.

Obviously, I'm trying as hard as possible to never bust a ride, yet have heard the old saying "there are those that have busted checkrides, and those that will". I would assume that potential employers would question whether or not one has busted a ride, and may understand if you busted one (as long as there's a reasonable explanation for doing so, and most importantly you learned from the experience, etc). Then again, since I've never interviewed for a pilot job, busting any ride may be a big black eye?

Anyhow, just curious if you found this to be somewhat common at ATP?

Thanks again for your time!
-Earl

BUSTED RIDES

Don't sweat the busted ride thing. A Delta Captian once told me that busted checkrides are like poor SAT scores after getting your college degree. Of course it helps your confidence to get um all done well. But like you said you have bad days and good days. We once had an ATP applicant bust 2 rides in a row because he forgot to gear up, and this was a guy with tons of time in light twins. I will admit that ATP is accelerated and relies on the student to be a fairly self-motivated and disciplined person. When I went through it was hectic at times, but at the same time you fly so often that you really start to feel like a pro. After you get your instrument and multi-engine rating you go through a cross-country phase where you talk to dispatch every day, fly all over the country, stay at hotels near airports... it was very fun. I didn't bust any checkrides and neither did my flight partner, and of the people who did, they just did a little more flight training and took the ride the next day. But I must emphasize that they will help you out, answer any questions , and cover everything you need to know, but it is up to you to go home and comit it to memory. ATP emphasizes hands on experiential training. So it really depends on what pace you are most comfortable with. But ATP is the only school I know that has a guaranteed fixed price as well. Oh yeah, you get to fly a CE-501 too.

Latest resources

Back