What kind of sunglasses?

T

TDTURBO

Serengeti's are sweet, get the medium blacks out of Spruce catalog for under a hundo. Be wary of polarized lenses, I don't think there legal to fly with........at least thats what I was told.

PastMmo

Coffee Serving Ho
Total Time
polarization?

Nowhere (to my knowledge) does it say in the regs that you can't fly with polarized lenses. Some problems with heated windscreens are the only problem. Really, a personal preference.

I just ordered a new pair of serengeti's. model # 6745. Polarized. Best sunglasses I've EVER owned. Been a Ray Ban person for the last 15 years. Ordered from internet retailer for 33% less than "mall" price.

typhoonpilot

Daddy
Total Time
17000+
Check out eBay for Serengeti Aviators. I recently purchased a brand new pair for $50.00 that normally retail at over $125.00. I've been flying with Serengetis for over 15 years and swear by them.

T

TDTURBO

Polarized lenses wash out LED displays such as stormscopes and glass cockpits, I was going to get a pair but when I told the Lady I was a pilot she wouldn't sell them to me, fearing I would only have to return them. This is what I was told, probably is BS but her reasoning kinda made sense.

402driver

Total Time
2300+
It's True

A lot of CRTs have polarized screens to prevent glare. The Garming 430/530 does too. Next time you are wearing a pair of polarized glasses, try looking at the display with your head tilted 90 degrees.

By the way, Oakleys are Da'Bomb!

T

TDTURBO

So the lady was right? I never tried using them in a glass cockpit so I don't know for sure.

Tim

OtterFO

Flying Again!!!!
Total Time
Put on a pair of polarized sunglasses and look at the LCD screen on your favorate NOKIA cell phone, then rotate the phone 90 degrees.

T

TDTURBO

Since I don't have a pair of polarized lenses, that will be hard to do.
Please tell me what happends, does the LED wash out?

PastMmo

Coffee Serving Ho
Total Time
LED vs. CRT

Yes, LED's wash out (turn black opaque) when turned sideways. Cell phones, hand held GPS's, et al. have LED displays. CRT's (cathode ray tubes) as found in glass cockpits do not have this feature. As far as some CRT's having polarized glass shields, I don't know. As far as the E-120 and CRJ, I have had no problem reading the screens. As stated before the heated windshields sometimes show lines of polarization. This is dependent on the temperature of the windshield surface and the angle of the sunlight passing through the glass. Usually not a problem. Most (if not all) glass cockpits have CRT's and not LED's.

Unless you answer your cell phone sideways or look at you Garmin sideways, you should not have a problem.

stingray

Total Time
some
Serrengettis are my favorite, tried raybans don't like.
non polarized claases is what you will need.
Also look through some winsheilds(with polarized glasses) and you will get distorted views with and strips through the your vision due to some of the stuff put on the windshields. it happened on king airs, I'm sure it happens with others

JOHN LA HAYE

KAP59
Total Time
8000+
I'M KIND OF A NUT FOR SUN GLASSES. THE SERENGETTIS ARE GOOD RAYBANS ARE OK, BUT I HAVE NEVER HAD BETTER THAN MAUI JIMS. THEY ARE PRICY SO BE AWARE. BUT I HAVE TWO PAIR THAT I WOULD NOT BE WITHOUT. THE COMMODORE STYLE ARE CLASSIC AVIATOR CUTS, THE OTHER STYLES ARE WRAP AROUND. YOUR CHOICE.
GO TO A GOOD OPTICAL SHOP AND CHECK THEM OUT.

Riddy

Total Time
Just wondering, are your maui jim's polarized. I want to get a pair of maui jim voyager's but they are polarized. I have heard some people have problems looking through heated winsheilds and certain instruments.

falconpileit

A/C Management
Total Time
maui jim's

Maui Jim's are by far the finest sunglasses made. I fly with them everyday, in glass cockpits and YES sometimes you will have difficulty seeing somethings. Has to do more with the angle of sun shining in the windows than anything else. If your trying to protect you eyes, which is the point isn't it? The maui Jim's are the finest.

Rerouted

What Dream?
Total Time
4000+
I've tried all sorts of sun glasses, and I'll have to agree with the guys above - the Maui Jim's are without equal. The LCD displays really haven't been a problem to read from any normal sitting position in the cockpit. Definitely worth the money....and that's coming from someone with a flight instructor's salary!!
RR

alimaui

Total Time
150+
I think that I should add that I love my Ralph Laurens. The are perfect. They fit under my headset like they were built together and they look great on my cute little nose. ;)

bubba7

Total Time
I used to swear by Serengetis but now that I use prescription lenses I cant find anyone that makes them with a prescription
Any Ideas?

P.S.
I tried polarised lenses in the cockpit but the waffle patterns on the windshield drove me nuts.

falconpileit

A/C Management
Total Time
prescription glasses

My Maui Jims' are prescription, yes they are polarized, and no they are not a problem, even in glass cockpits. Stand by when you write the check though.............you will make that sound like a chicken when the square egg comes out!!!:eek: