• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

what kept you going to pursue your dream

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just wondering what you guys did when you felt down and dejected with aviation, the industry or when the road seemed long and the airline dream rather far away and unattainable.

What motivated and inspired you- what keeps you going?

Take a night. Grab a bottle of booze, grab your girl, wake up, put your big boy pants on, and cowboy up son.

When I was about to retire from the USAF, I thought the be all of human existence was to fly the the whale.

Then 9-11 happened right before my retire date, so don't call us, we'll call you.

Now I'm flying a new G550 and couldn't care less about the airlines.

Just wondering what you guys did when you felt down and dejected with aviation, the industry or when the road seemed long and the airline dream rather far away and unattainable.

What motivated and inspired you- what keeps you going?

I'd walk down to the international terminal and simply walk by a few 74s or triples.

Also walking to your car or the hotel van, I like noticing families/friends embracing after a long time away. The job is to bring people safely to others.

And anytime I get stuck in rush hour traffic, it helps knowing I don't do this every day.

Got bitten early when my dad was working on his private/instrument. We were out flying, me riding shotgun. I must've been 5 or 6. I was a bit breezy that day. Inbound to the pattern we crossed a ridge and hit a decent downdraft and I did the superman routine pinned to the ceiling for a couple seconds. Still have no idea how the seatbelt came un-done. Dad, with panic in his eyes says "you ok? You ok??" Without missing a beat I say "DO IT AGAIN! DO IT AGAIN!!"

As a teenager I worked weekends and summers with him in his plumbing business. Sometime after the 50th crapper I had to snake out his comment "Find something you love to do and find a way to get paid for it and you'll never work a day in your life" became indellibly imprinted in my brain. Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of "suck" to go around in the airline/aviation buisness but still loving what I do adds a bit of BBQ sauce the the occasional excrement sandwich.

An occasional lucky break is always nice too. I finally got one after about 20 years since getting my CFI.

I also made the best career decision a pilot can make...I married up. ;-)

Why I did it

Flying solo close finger-tip formation in a flight of four in the T-28 on the way to the boat for your first landings.

Somehow, all the jet-lag and other problems had some compensating balance!

Your first CAT shot off number two Cat on the Enterprise into a gray overcast sky

Sunrises seen from the high flight levels that make the heart soar.
Taking off with 55,000#?s of fuel for a 12 hour flight then stretching it into a 16.8 hour flight on two engines

The patchwork quilt of the great plains of Kansas from 37,000' on a day when you can see forever.

Doing close to a 400 KT run in on a target in a P-3 in the South China Sea

Knowing you got to land at Bermuda at night with a 35 KT gusting cross wind in blowing horizontal rain after shooting a GCA.

Punching out the top of a low overcast while climbing into a clear blue sky
The majesty and grandeur of towering cumulus.

Taking off from Sangley Point 6,000 over MGTOW and losing water injection after V1

The delicate threads of St. Elmo's Fire dancing on the windshield at night.

The twinkle of lights on the Japanese fishing fleet far below, on a night crossing of the North Pacific.

Cloud formations that are beautiful beyond description.

'Ice fog' in Adak on a cold winter morning.

Seeing the approach strobes appear through the fog on a 'Must do' zero, zero approach when there is no other place to go.

Seeing geologic formations that no ground-pounder will ever see.

The chaotic, non-stop babble of radio transmissions at O'Hare during the afternoon rush.

The quietness of center frequency at night during a "Transcontinental flight" ... or over the Amazon at any time.

Watching St. Elmo's fire all over your windscreen in the winter night skies over Alaska.

Landing on an aircraft carrier at any time

The welcome view of approach lights appearing out of the mist just as you reach minimums.

Finding yourself in a thunderstorm with because you have no weather radar on broad your airplane and you are 1000 NM South West of the Azores

Lightning storms at night over the Midwest.

Picking your way through a line of huge Thunderstorms that seemed to go all the way from Chicago to New Orleans.

The soft, glow of the instrument panel in a dark cockpit.

The dancing curtains of colored light of the "Aurora Borealis" on a winter-night "North Atlantic" crossing.

Passing 30 west . . .

The taxiway names at O Hare before they were renamed: 'The Bridge', 'Lakeshore Drive', 'Old Scenic', 'New Scenic', 'Outer', 'The Bypass', 'Inner', 'Cargo', 'North-South', 'The Stub', and 'Hangar Alley' !

The majestic panorama of an entire mountain range stretched out beneath you from horizon to horizon.

Lenticular clouds over the Sierras.

The brief, yet tempting, glimpse of runway lights after you've already committed to the missed approach.

Taking off VFR from Puerto Rico reroute to Rota Spain with no flight plan filed, using big sky theory

The South China Sea so smooth that you leave waves in the water from 75 feet above the sea as you fly over it.

Seeing a torp you drop hit the target and knowing you had all the parameters right.

Last edited:
Doing a transcon on a clear night on the 4th of July....the silent fireworks popping below like a scene from avatar.

fv

Latest resources

Back