• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What Is Up With These C-130's ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Demanding missions, unforgiving terrain, and an old airplane are certainly factors which could contribute to a high number of accidents. Combat Talons aguably fly the most dangerous mission profiles in Afghanistan, with the possible exception of some helos, and the MC-130E being an older aircraft makes it more likely to experience mechanical malfunctions. Additionally, the shear number of C-130s in theater coupled with the fact that they generally perform numerous takeoffs/landings to austere airfields at high altitude in mountainous terrain per mission, puts them in a position to experience a higher than normal accident rate.

One of the safest flying machines on earth. "Those who don't study the course of history are doomed to repeat it." This applies to all; pilots, engineers, navs, mechs, etc...God save those who have gone before...

.......I would lay off something you don't understand.....

Hey RichO....maybe that is why he asked the question to begin with. Lighten up dude!

Pardon me DickO

Dear DickO,
I was not trying to upset anyone about this matter, I am
just curious if someone could explain why we are losing these
aircraft. I was very close to accepting an offer to fly one of these
aircraft for my local guard unit! I am in no way harping on the
skills of these pilots, downplaying the roll they play in the "theater", and would like to state I pray for the families
of these men and women everyday. I am very sorry you lost
a friend! It could have been you or me, and for that I apologize.
Now as for how you responded--GO TO HELL! You have no idea
who I am and what I have done for my country, but I am sure
it is nothing compared to you! Relax you will live longer DickO.

Coming from someone who is in the theater, has flown in areas like the one in question, lost several friends in "the theater", whose family only knows that he is "in an undisclosed location", and whose wife got a call late last night to let her know "it wasn't me" (which still scares the - - - out of you anyway)...

Sir, YOU go to hell. If you don't like the way the question was answered, then phrase the question more tactfully. Sir, I don't know what sacrifices you have made for your country, but I know that those I, my family, and especially some of my friends and comrades have made definitely deserve a more respectfully worded question than "What is up with these C-130s." Sir, I take offense at the callous tone in which you worded your question. I know there are a great many people on this board who have, who are, and who will continue to make great sacrifices for this country both at home and abroad. I think they deserve more respect than your question afforded them. It sounds like you are asking about a bad sports game ("Whats up with those Indians?") rather than the tragic end of 3 lives. Have you ever seen someone die sir? Have you ever known someone whose pregnant wife was met at work by uniformed officers, bringing the news that her husband died a violent death in a foreign land? If so, then I am sorry, but shocked that you were so flippant about your question. If not, then sit down and shut up.

For those of you who think I am over-reacting, think of how a NYFD member would react to a question like "What's up with all those firemen? How come so many died?" Sir, you owe those men an apology.

Don't mean nothin'.....

JOPilot,

Don't sweat the harsh replies. It's just a 130 thing. We are traditionally promoted at the lowest rates in the AF. We are a tight knit bunch and very defensive about our planes and missions.

I spent from Sep 01 to Feb 02 in the 'stans. Make no mistake, this was primarily a 130 air war from the beginning. Due to the nature and classification of some of the 130 missions, they don't get a lot of press until something bad happens. In addition, with all the 130 assets that were and still are located in the area, there was bound to be some accidents due to the harsh conditions and tough missions.

Anyway, don't sweat it. Some of us get a little over defensive about the Herk. Too bad you didn't take that 130 job. Great mission, great plane, and you get paid to fly it.

Adios,

BN

NO SWEAT

No Worries, no offense taken...I will be sure and stay
off this side of the website from now on, and thanks for
the info. MarineC130, yes I have seen someone die
before with a severe head injury, and they were not
lucky enough for it to be quick and painless...this was while I was serving my country. Thanx Sir, done with the questions, please end this thread it is senseless!

Back to the question...

Yes, the C-130 can be difficult to fly. No, this particular aircraft was not old, it was very new. The MC-130H is a busy aircraft. There are many things going on internally. As for what brought the plane down, it will be determined through an investigation. The Talon community is very small, close-knit. It is a sad time.

Goose17

Response

JOPILOT, I do appologize for the harshness of my response, therefore I did remove it because after a night to sleep on it I did feel it was unappropriate for me to responed that way to your question. However, I think a few of the previous posts did however sum up what is really going on and how not too much of it really makes the news until something like this happens. MarineKC130 summed the whole thing up with his response and how in times like this you need to be aware of how your question might come across.

DickO

Latest resources

Back