What is so wrong about "with you"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
gkrangers said:
Exactly what I do. Seems "ok". I've yet to be reamed by ATC for phraseology.

ALTHO, I think, sometime last week I had a brainfart and said standy after they told me to standby... :idiot:

eheh...can't say I haven't had a brainfart recently...said "ident" to "Cessna 123 Ident"....yeah...that was dumb. Oh well...it happens, right? :p

-mini

minitour said:
eheh...can't say I haven't had a brainfart recently...said "ident" to "Cessna 123 Ident"....yeah...that was dumb. Oh well...it happens, right? :p

-mini
I've done that...its not as bad as standby...cuz they actually did tell us to do something....tho I guess its still dumb.

I should have my license revoked :( :0

gkrangers said:
I should have my license revoked :( :0

....nevermind...I won't say it.

I'll give you a clue though...it had something to do with UnAnswered, your line above and it was really funny :D

-mini

The other day I said "Center, 1234, request." Twice. And it wasn't even busy. Broke my own rule. Still shaking my head at that one. Must've been more tired than I thought.

At my first shot as Official Gear Handle Supervisor, I checked in to LAS departure with the infamous "with you" phraseology. My astute captain quickly pointed out the error of my ways. Not 10 seconds after he was done. I heard a SWA pilot check in with the same phrase. All I could think of was to key up and say, "Excuse me, my captain said that we aren't checking in with anybody". Didn't do it though, too busy clapping my hands so the captain knew I wasn't touching anything.

The problem with the word "level" is that everywhere outside the U.S. the term is a short form of "flight level", so saying "level 8,000" is a very odd confusion of terms. Better to substitute "maintaining". Similarly, the term "with you" is not so much a problem with English speaking controllers, but can really muck up the works with those that have marginal command of the language (i.e., just what is listed in PANS-OPs and nothing else).

Latest resources

Back