What If...(the decert fails)?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

TexasChallenger

Had a conversation with my costar today and of course all this decert stuff came up. Obviously, I'm pro 1108 but my costar...not so much. After way too much back and forth and no mind changing taking place, I finally asked him/her; "If the decert fails, will you get behind the Union and support their efforts to hammer out this CBA?" He/she seemed puzzled because apparently he'd/she'd given it zero thought. Partially because he/she was so confident in the decert drive and partially because he/she had never been asked this before. After some pondering for a few moments, they finally decided that more than likely they would, though reluctantly. This individual just can't support a union, period. Who knows, maybe this person will or won't if the decert fails but for all the El Ratons and Lumpsums on here, what say you? Will you swallow your pride and finally realize that the only way to a great contract is through solidarity? No one is saying that you have to volunteer for every committee or wear five pounds of union lingo. Make it known that you're a professional aviator and that you deserve to be treated as such. Remember, every single manager working under Ricci has a contract in place. From what their salaries are, time off, and probably even golden parachutes if the place were to ever shut down. Why wouldn't you demand the same respect as the one who's actually out there making it happen? So, what's your plan on May 31st if the 1108 is still on property?

I don't plan on going anywhere else to work, so I will try to get involved. I'd make sure my dues money was being spent wisely.
How about you? If the vote goes to decert will you stand alongside your coworkers and accept the vote outcome?

No. Worked here without a contract and know that scenario is not in the best interest of the average pilot. I have my apps in just in case.

The short answer to your question is “Yes.” The long answer is actually another question. Will my coworkers stand by those of us who are vocal to our management or will they cower down and go with “management by trust?” We learned a few months ago that Frank and Phil have no interest in challenging management with an in-house union so we know they have no backbone. So, yes I will move forward regardless but that doesn’t mean I plan to sit idly by even though my dissent could cost me my livelihood. What’s your plan the day after decert?

Latest resources

Back