What if???? No Bailout

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

publisher

What would have been your prognosis if the government had just stayed out of the bailout after the 11th of September. Who would have survived. What would the airline world look like today?

The bailout money the regional I'm waiting to get back on got some bailout money. The sad thing was the money was just enough to pay for the increase insurance premiums.

Pretty funny huh.

Bailout

Cornelius is right. It is real hysterical, alright.

My .02 would be that more planes would be parked than are currently parked and more pilots would be on furlough. Sometimes, though, I wonder if the airlines are blowing smoke about their "grave" financial debt. The majors, who almost always seem to be on death's door, with few exceptions always seem to find another life. Therefore, I would .02 opine that things might not be much different had the government not bailed out the airlines.

Here's some food for thought: How much of the money was used to help airlines survive and serve the public, and how much helped pay the bosses' bonuses? While I express this point with a measure of cynicism, I honestly have seen no information about it.

First, the government used it's force to shut down an industry that had done nothing wrong. The failures in security that lead to 9-11, were not the fault of the airlines. Remember that the airlines only followed the rules as developed by the FAA. The Federal government agencies in charge of immigration etc. allowed the bad guys in, not the airlines.
Therefore I do believe that the people owed the airlines for the time that the people forced those businesses to shut down.

After saying all of that, without the money........

SWA would still be growing.
Midway would not have come back.
Any airline with a strong, efficient organization would have found the investors necessary to continue ops.
Any airline that was struggling prior to 9-11 would most likely have already filed for bankrupt

regards
8N

The failures in security that lead to 9-11, were not the fault of the airlines. Remember that the airlines only followed the rules as developed by the FAA.

And just what exactly (other than their precious bottom line) kept the airlines from enforcing MORE stringint security guidelines other than those mandated by the FAA? Everybody in the industry knew that there were serious problems (and still are) but chose to look the other way. It always takes blood in this business to bring about change and unfortunately I dont think that will change anytime soon.

In Britain on the 15th of September the newspapers were predicting that there would be 12,000 to 20,000 flight crew members made redundant in the U.S. and Britain.

Latest resources

Back