What do you pack for a trip?

mtsupilot376

happy to be alive
Total Time
I've been looking at what I pack lately in an attempt to limit the size and weight of my rolling bag. I'm just curious what others are packing for the overnight. How many uniform shirts, pants?Do you bring a jacket or hoodie? Athletic shoes or work out clothes? Any space or weight saving tips? I'm curious to see what everyone says.

Pasturepilot

Total Time
enough
I picked up a trick from a friend, to roll up socks and underwear in an undershirt. One tidy bundle to grab out of the bag each morning while staggering to the shower at 04:15. An eagle creek shirt folder bag helps keep things organized.

Running shoes and shorts are a must; often I just use the previous day's uniform undershirt for my run. I mean, I'm gonna smell pretty bad anyhow, no sense dorking up an extra shirt for each workout. I'll carry a brightly-colored race shirt in the winter months so I don't get run over if it's after dark before I get out to run.

I dumped the laptop for the summer, started carrying an ipad. Much easier not having to open up a bag to go through security.

I did four years of carrying a full 26" bag until I realized one day I was coming home from trips with a ton of clean clothes. You'll find the formula that works for you. Now, I start a trip with a 22" bag often leaves the house with space to spare.

Last edited:

RJLoser

Total Time
Running shoes and shorts are a must; often I just use the previous day's uniform undershirt for my run. I mean, I'm gonna smell pretty bad anyhow, no sense dorking up an extra shirt for each workout. I'll carry a brightly-colored race shirt in the winter months so I don't get run over if it's after dark before I get out to run.
Nike Dry Fit (or similar) shorts and shirt. Run in it. Hop in the shower with it. Wring it out. Smells ok for a second or third run. Drys on a hanger on a short overnight.

Clutch

Hi, I'm William Devane
Total Time
I've been looking at what I pack lately in an attempt to limit the size and weight of my rolling bag. I'm just curious what others are packing for the overnight. How many uniform shirts, pants?Do you bring a jacket or hoodie? Athletic shoes or work out clothes? Any space or weight saving tips? I'm curious to see what everyone says.
Just don't forget your ballroom dancing leotard

Oakum_Boy

supercalifragilistic
Total Time
Don't forget the man thong your mom just ironed. I used to pack a full size can of starch. That was back in the day when people ironed their shirts. Then 9/11 and the Canadian security forces thought it was a deadly weapon.

AP2B

Total Time
17:00?
My real cowboy boots take up a huge amount of space! I can't imagine walking to K Mart in TOL in my "pilot" cowboy boots.

cbrown1

Total Time
A pair of jeans, 1 change of underwear and a shirt.

COOPERVANE

Member since 1967
Total Time
<8000
3 pairs of cowboy boots just in case I run into Uncle bunkie.

centralpilot

Total Time
I commute to reserve, so this load out is not at all light, but here is what can fit in a 22" rollaboard:

Work clothes: 2 uniform shirts, 1 uniform pants, 2 pairs black socks, black sweater (winter), 6 undershirts, 6 underwear

Personal clothes: 1 pair jeans, 1 pair shorts (summer), 3 shirts (polo, t-shirt, etc), 4-5 pairs white socks (mostly for running)

Workout clothes: 1 pair running shoes, 1 pairs running shorts; use undershirts on runs

That plus a toiletry kit and the uniform I wear on the commute just about covers it. Packing for a normal 3-4 day trip is simple by comparison.

Last edited: